How weight can a powerbook take?

rationull

Registered
I've got a new aluminum 12" powerbook, which I plan to take back and forth with me to school a lot. The carrying solution I decided to go with was to put the 'book in one of SpireUSA's horizontal boots and and carry it in my backpack with the rest of my stuff.

This means though that occasionally a textbook or something will end up sitting on top of the machine. The boot sleeve from Spire has quarter inch thick padding, so it should provide some insulation.

But, I'm the paranoid type, so I have to ask, how much weight can one of these things take without being damaged?

well i don't know about those, but i found my nephew (roughly 30 pounds at the time) standing directly on top of my brothers clamshell ibook with the lid closed. i snatched him off of it immediately and moved it, but the ibook was totally fine.

in fairness, the clamshell i book wasn't small - it was of the eMate design philosophy - you could drop thos from 6 feet and they'd be fine. there's also quite a lot of room inside the case.

the aluBooks are the height of miniturisation. there's no space to spare, and the metal's thin. i wouldn't trust it that much. my old sony cd player used to stop the disk from spinning if there was any pressure on the lid, as there was just no space, no margins, and metal would flex.

Now if it was a titanium powerbook it would be a whole different ballgame. I've seen one of our teachers that has one sit 2 history books on top of it (and these things are almost 700 pages.) and it didnt bother it at all.

Seems like there should be no problem here then, right? I was under the impression that the TiBooks were more given to warping and problems of that nature than the AlBooks.

it all depands how the pressure is spread on the lid or case. I wouldn't put a 1,5l bottle of water on the apple logo behind my tibooks lid. But I would put a 2kg A4 book on my tibook covering the whole edge.
However, the 12'' powerbook is the most robust apple book. Don't think you should worry about it.

Back