How will we install classic?

tk4two1

Professional Crastinator
If all new machines after 2003 will only boot into OS X, how will we install classic? Right now the only way is to boot from an OS 9 CD. Now, I'm all for dumping OS 9 ASAP but it just doesn't make sense unless apple is working on a carbon installer for it so that you can install it from OS X. I would think this would be the only way.

Mac OS X will use the System Folder on the installation CD for the 'classic' environment... Or perhaps future versions of Mac OS X will come with a disk image containing a System Folder...

uhhh boot Classic off the installation CD, install it, restart Classic, selecting the new OS 9 System Folder.

But that's just the thing: if the new Macs won't support OS 9, you wouldn't be able to boot from the OS 9 install CD in the first place. This is kind of interesting, because I hadn't really thought about it... I guess they'll have to Carbonize the OS 9 installer, strange as it may seem.

You mean I'm the first one that thought of it? WOO HOO! Except for the peoples at Apple of course, they probably thought of it about the time they released Mac OS 7.6:D

Apple has stated that Classic apps will still run in a modified form of OS 9 emulation.
I just gotta make sure that I have a DiskWarrior 3 CD before I get one of those new single-booting Macs! :p

there are two ways you could do it. there is a disk image on the OS 9 CD that you can mount and drag a system folder out. Or you can select your OS 9 install CD as the classic start up disk and install it from there.

Back