How would a mount an FTP server in Finder w/ user and pass?

JPigford

I'm awesome...seriously..
I'm using OS X 10.4.

I've got a dedicated server (linux) that I host all of my sites on and I'd like to be able to mount them to do things like backing up local files so that I can have them accessible from anywhere. I tried just doing ftp://ftp.website.com but it never asks for authentication so it just acts like I'm doing anonymous FTP. Basically I need it to prompt me for a user and pass so it will give me all the privileges I need.

Are you going in from the menubar by selecting Go-->Connect to Server? You should be able to enter "ftp://blahblah.com" and it should prompt you.

To connect to an FTP server as an anonymous user, type the DNS name or IP address for the server like this:

ftp://DNSname

You can also specify your user name using this form:

ftp://user@DNSname

If you use this form, a dialog appears for you to enter your password. You can specify both your user name and password using this form:

ftp://user:password@DNSname

Note: From the Finder you connect to FTP servers with read-only access. To copy files to an FTP server, use an FTP program.

To connect to a WebDAV server, type the DNS name and pathname like this:

http://DNSname/pathname

bobw said:
To connect to an FTP server as an anonymous user, type the DNS name or IP address for the server like this:

ftp://DNSname

You can also specify your user name using this form:

ftp://user@DNSname

If you use this form, a dialog appears for you to enter your password. You can specify both your user name and password using this form:

ftp://user:password@DNSname

Note: From the Finder you connect to FTP servers with read-only access. To copy files to an FTP server, use an FTP program.

To connect to a WebDAV server, type the DNS name and pathname like this:

http://DNSname/pathname

Using ftp://user:password@DNSname did the trick...but like you said...it's read-only. Is there anyways to allow read and write privileges?

bobw said:
Not that I know of. FTP in the Finder has always been read only.
Well hmph. :) What I'm trying to do is basically create an iDisk sort of thing where I can just connect to my dedicated server in Finder and be able to drag/drop files in there for easy sharing. Know of any way to do this without having to use some external app?

Back