How would Apple lose money by going to Boston MacWorld?

isolder

Registered
I haven't been able to grasp how Apple could be losing money by going to this.

From the few reports I've read it seems like they keep saying it's not in the best interest of Apple to go there...

MWNY was the first expo place I'd ever been to, was really cool seeing Apple in the flesh. Kind of sucks to think they're going to be this way..

They wouldn't. However, it seems that Apple feels that MWBoston would not hold the same prestige or garner the audience that they want to attract. I read a report that New York had purchased the highest amount of the iPods, and they are a huge item in the fashion arena there.
The marketing costs would probably be high, and there is nothing new for them to show at the time of the event. I think Apple is only going to start attending/holding events when prod lines get announced. Look at the WWDC last year where the G5 made its debut

not to be a jerk or anything, but it probably has just as much to do with boston sucking vs new york if you want to make news. its dirty, under construction, and people are generally real a-holes. thats why i'm moving.

trew, but new york at least holds a certain international prestige that boston cannot recreate. to clarify, i'm not moving to new york either.

but on another note, i've only taken trips to new york and the people have been more helpful than those of boston. go figure.

I don't know what experience you guys have, but I have quite a bit of "expo" experience. I can say from experience that the booth alone costs a minimum of $250,000 (this does not include the cost of getting it there, paying the employees to man it and the costs associated with travel, the power, the union workers to set it up and much more). When all is said and done, Apple probably spends around a cool million or more.

With the near proximity, Boston seems too close for Apple to have anything there. Ideally, you'd have one in NY, one in LA/San Fran, one in Europe and one in Australasia, rotating the cities for the last two.

Back