How would you rate Tiger?

How would you rate Tiger

• Great

• Good

• Fair

• Poor

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well, I must confess I expected more. Of the '200 new features' I have not noticed much so far. The obvious, like Dashboard and Spotlight, yeah. But beyond, not really anything of personal importance so far. Automator looks promising, though it fails to accomplish the fist tasks I thought could be automated. The speed gain is fair.

Overall, a good system, but not great. 7/10

JonKemerer said:
8 of 10

My biggest gripe is I'm trying to adapt to it (I've been a windows user all my life), especially with keyboard shortcuts.

Just replace all your CTRL+something shortcuts with the equivalent Cmd+something shortcut, where something consists of keys like C,X,Z, etc. It normally works :).

Yesterday was my big day. Finally I got tiger and wasted the whole previous day on the migration. Although tiger now offers a migration assistent, I prefered to do it by myself. Well, everything seems to work now but it doesn't feel so much different. A fresh panther install would have given me the same smile, I guess.
I am slightly annoyed by spotlight. Launchbar was a lot faster..
So, all together I would rate tiger as "fair".

fryke said:
QuickSilver/LaunchBar: Those tools are thriving! Spotlight is 100% NOT what QS/LB are for. I just don't understand why people don't get this. Do you _really_ intend to activate Spotlight, enter "photoshop" and wait 10 seconds to see every kind of photoshop file popping up until you safely can select the application?

... lol. Yeah, I said that before having worked with Spotlight for a few days... now it's been a few days, and... well, I'm disappointed by the speed of Spotlight. I know that it's going through individual words IN PDF files and whatnot... all sorts of crazy, deep, indexing... but give me a break! Give me Photoshop now!

Yeah... I'm thinking of bringing QuickSilver back into duty. Oh well. Live and learn. QuickSilver is better for finding files via name, but Spotlight is the thorough search that "Find" has evolved into.

What I mean, Viro, is the difference between the two. As it is now, I know that I have a photo that contains "stars" in its name, and I search for "stars" in a specific folder with a couple hundred pictures inside and it takes about 10-15 seconds until the right one pops up _somewhere_ among a few others. Would it search by name (and by name ONLY) it would take about a second (as it did in Panther). Steve Jobs once said that they (the Macintosh team) should cut off a few seconds off the boot-time of the machine, because if you multiply a few seconds by the millions of potential users, that would make an enormous amount of time. Eat your own words, Steve. It's not that it doesn't find the pic I want. It's that it takes too long and doesn't offer me to tell it that "find by name" would be my preference, thank you.

Viro said:
I don't know what you mean fryke. My finder seems to search for things using the file name. I've typed in the names of files that I'm looking for and it finds them alright.

Since I'm a fairly new user to the Mac altogether, I think it's quite understandable that I really like the new features that Tiger brings with it. For me a good thing is Spotlight. Dashboard wasn't necessary, however, it's a nice add on. I also like the Burn Folders. Just drop something in there, and press burn. Smooth! I didn't get behind this Smart Folder thing yet, but I'm sure that if I figure it out it might help me. The Automator is good for me because I still have some 100 pictures left that I need to turn. I don't want to do that manually... What else? Ah yeah, speed. I have noticed some improvement on speed compared to Panther. It's not THAT big deal, but it's noticeable. I was also able to import Mails from Thunderbird into Mail 2. Worked quite seamlessly. But the Mail GUI is a bit different than what I know, but it's good enough for me. Well and games? UT 2004 runs good. No problems with it, also the other games I have, like Neverwinter Nights and Dungeon Siege also run good.

Well, I'd give Tiger a rating of 9/10, it's pretty good. I'm curious what the next features in 10.5 are gonna be.

For those lucky enough to have a G5, Tiger makes the most sense. The 64 bit code works great on a G5 and the performance boost is noticeable.

Otherwise, Tiger has some nice feature and performance upgrades, but most people wont really care, except for spotlight. That is amazing! What a great system wide search feature.

ub

unclebunkie said:
For those lucky enough to have a G5, Tiger makes the most sense. The 64 bit code works great on a G5 and the performance boost is noticeable.
Is it? Funnily the performance boost on tiger was much higher for G4 processors than for G5s.

I'd have to say I'd rank Tiger as X out of X.

I'm already finding dashboard and spotlight indispensible, the Quartz Composer is mind blowing, and the overall performance is excellent. I can't stop finding things that make my jaw drop.

Back