[HOWTO] - Add items to finder window toolbars

Anton

Pixelated Artist
OK... first off, apologies to anyone who's mentioned this before...

I discovered this while playing around in my folders -
You can drag any folder up to the window's titlebar, hold it there for a sec, and the icons shift over - making room for your new alias!
It even retains cusom icons!
Got a folder that's many levels deep? drop it up there next to documents or favorites and have it at hand to drop stuff into from anywhere else.

When it gets REALLY interesting is that you can do this with apps as well.
Stick a launcher for Explorer, or BBedit in your toolbar, or whatever you like.
The thing about that last one though???
I haven't yet found a good enough reason to do that over just using the dock.

Serenity!
.:anton:.

Here's one to add to it.

Use TinkerTool to show the trash on your desktop (or type this in the terminal: defaults write com.apple.finder Finder.HasTrash -bool true)

Logout/login. You should now see the trash can stuck in the bottom right corner of the desktop.

Holding down the Command (Apple) and Option keys, drag the trash can icon from the desktop to the toolbar in an open Finder window.

Use TinkerTool to hide the trash on your desktop, or use the above terminal command with false at the end (unless you wish to keep the trash on your desktop, of course).

Logout/login again.

Now you have the trash can in your toolbar, and you can drag items to it from the windows. Neat trick, and I find it usefull. :)

click on the trashcan in the dock, so that a finder window opens showing the trash's contents.
now click and hold the trash icon in the window's titlebar, next to the title.
wait a moment - it will darken.
now drag this icon into the toolbar. wait a second...
release the mouse button. :)

Snazz, if you can answer that one I'm sure a whole lot of people will shake your hand!

why not just use the delete button in the customise toolbar window? Does the same thing as the dragging the trash can there!

How about simply right clicking (you do have at least a 2-button mouse, right? ;-) ) or Ctrl-clicking and hitting "Move To Trash"?

Now, how do you get rid of the trash icon in your toolbar? :D

EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out. Someone turned off deleting posts.. :mad:

I never understood why there was a problem having the trash in the dock and wanting back on the desktop. I never use it - I just Apple-del the files I want in the trash and Force Empty the trash using BatChmod.

Originally posted by cabbage
I never understood why there was a problem having the trash in the dock and wanting back on the desktop. I never use it - I just Apple-del the files I want in the trash and Force Empty the trash using BatChmod.

Better yet, I just right click and hit Move To Trash. :)

I go Apple-delete and then right click the Trash and say "Empty Trash." :D

(I can right click because I have a two button plus scrollwheel mouse)

Back