HOWTO do port forwarding with ZoneAlarm

James Bond

Registered
I (think) I need to activate port forwarding on the PC that connects me to the internet, so that my webserver (on an iMac on my LAN) is visble outside.

How do you do that? Cannot find it in the doc.
Do I need to upgrade to the Pro version?
Is there a simpler/cheaper/safer alternative....eg is there some sort of freeware proxy that I could run on the PC?

What a confusing topic. The "HowTo..." is normally used for people posting how to do something, not asking. Then I saw it was for Zone Alarm, and thought, "Isn't that Windows software, why is in the Unix Focus forum?" You had me thinking maybe they'd made a UNIX or Mac OS X version. :mad:

Anyway to get to your QUESTION :p depending on what version of Windows you have, you can set it to forward traffic without any additional software. I can tell you how to do this, but you have to let me know what version of the OS you are using first. Zone Alarm is supposed to block traffic, not forward it. You will have to tell it to allow those connections once its set up. If you are using an older version of Windows, you can use 3rd party software (we used to use SyGate) to forward traffic.

Lastly, can a moderator move this thread/change the topic so nobody else is subjected to this torturous mind-boggling confusion?

The PC is running Win Me
The webserver is running on OS 10.1.3 on my iMac

I did not think about posting it in a non-mac/unix place because I almost never touch the PC except when I have to reboot it!

Back