[HOWTO] Flash a new Pioneer drive on a Mac

Satcomer

In Geostationary Orbit
I bought a new Pioneer 16X DL SuperDrive DVR-110D to a Pioneer 16X DL SuperDrive DVR-110 so it can not just read DVDRAM disks (like the 110D) but also writes to DVDRAM disks. This requires the latest Pioneer Firmware files.

1. First I went and downloaded the current firmware (Ver.1.37) from PIONEER Europe which is an .exe file.

2. I un-stuffed the .exe file using Stuffit Expander. You then will a folder with three files in it. I used the two files with the .137 extension.

3. I then used an application called DVRFlash. I followed the directions in the DVRFlash ReadMe requires a little knowledge of the Terminal.app.

4. I created a new desktop folder and call DVRFlash (only DVRFlash). I put the DVRFlash file in the folder I just created (on the desktop) plus the TWO files I extracted for the Pioneer firmware.. So now there are three files (the DVRFlash.app+the two firmware files) in the new folder I created called DVRFlash.

5. I opened the Terminal.app and typed cd (then just one space) and drag the DVRFlash folder onto the Terminal. This will make a path in Terminal to that folder.

6. I then typed: ./DVRFlash -ff RA.100010.137 RA100110.137
Pioneer firmware is usually two files (these are the names of the two firmware files I got from un-stuffing the pioneer .exe firmware file). I then followed the instructions that came up on the Terminal.

7. Once the firmware has been successfully uploaded I had to reboot. Upon the reboot I had the Pioneer Firmware Ver.1.37. This made my Pioneer 110D into a Pioneer 110 with the latest, greatest firmware.

So it's possible to use the standard firmware? I was under the impression that the firmware had to be customized for the mac (for booting, etc)?

Thanks

Nope. If you follow the directions it use the stand window .exe file. Stuffit will extract the files as direct in my first port. DVRFlash will take the two firmware files and upload them with the power of the Terminal.

Greetings Satcomer,
Thanks for the good detailed insructions! (did I mention easy to follow?!!)
I was able to flash my Pioneer 110D to a 110; but neither shows up in disk uitility as available for burning. When checking profile, it updated the 110D to 110, then back again when I reflashed; but still shows the folling in profile:

Manufacturer: PIONEER
Model: PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-110D
Revision: 1.37
Drive Type: CD-RW/DVD-RW
Disc Burning: Not Supported
Removable Media: Yes
Detachable Drive: No
Protocol: ATAPI
Unit Number: 0
Socket Type: Internal

Any ideas?
Thanks!

The firmware is permanent. When you flashed the drive in the Terminal.app, did id ask you to make sure you want to do the flash? Once you say yes, the text with give you a Terminal style load display. After it says everything is done, a reboot has to be done to see the results. If you re-flash the drive again, make sure you read the Terminal.app read outs every time it prompts you. Also make sure you download the right firmware, the one labeled R110_FW137EU.EXE.

The main difference from 110D to 110 is the ability to burn RAM (110D can only read RAM disks). Also once a dive is flashed, the display in Software Profiler will say unsupported, even though all the iApps will burn with it. The only iApp that will not do dual layer burning is iDVD. However the cool people over at Accelerate Your Macintosh have posted a link to a hack to get iDVD to do Dual Layer.

However your milage may very.

I went and downloaded the current firmware (Ver.1.37) from PIONEER Europe which is an .exe file. But all I found was (Ver.1.39) with your instructions I tryed to use 1.39 om my PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-110D in my G5 2.0 but it did not work.

RoyK

Anybody know if this is possible with the DVR-111D to DVR-111? The newest firmware is v. 119; unfortunately DVRFlash won't work with this new drive. I might try doing it on a PC though if I can get the DVD-RAM Write capability....

Well I just checked and and DVRFlash has not yet been updated for DVR-111 yet. I guess a little patience is needed before you can do anything to it. By the way the latest firmware I have seen for that drive is v.1.19.

Well in my firmware travels I have discovered that PIONEER firmware has updates firmware for my G5 internal PIONEER DVR110 Superdrive (see my first post in this thread) 10 v1.41. So I did these steps (slightly different than my first post).

1. I downloaded the PIONEER DVR110 v1.41 firmware.

2. I then unstuffed the firmware's .exe files with Stuffit Expander that created a folder with three files in it. I paid no attention to the .exe. file, just the RA100010.141 & RA100110.141 files.

3. I then downloaded the current DVRFLash 2.2 for OS X. and unstuffed it. I then read DVRFlash's ReadMe files and followed these suggestions.
a) Created a new folder and named it DVRFlash.
b) From the DVRFlash 2.2 folder I put the DVRFlash application (the black Unix file) in the new folder I named DVRFlash.
c) I then put in the two firmware files (that I unstuffed from Pioneer named RA10010.141 & RA100110.141 in my created DVR Flash folder.

4. I now have in my created "DVRFLash" folder the DVRFlash application and the two PIONEER firmware files.

5. I then started up OS X's application called Terminal (yes you have to dive into the Terminal to be on the cutting edge) and typed these commands:
a) cd - then dropped into the Terminal the DVRFLash folder (that I created in the steps above). I now had a path to the folder. Then I hit the return button.
b) ./DVRFlash -vf PIONEER RA100010.141 RA100110.141 -- slightly different command than my first post. The two files after the PIONEER are the firmware files I got from PIONEER.
c) Hit the return key and then followed the directions the DVRFlash application (running in terminal).
d) After the DVRFlash application said it was finished, I restarted my Mac.

6. I now am running on my PIONEER DVR110 version 1.41 firmware. PIONEER says this firmware improves disk reading/writing.

Now this is on the bleeding firmware edge for my PIONEER DVD/DVDRW. System Profiler now reports this:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-110:

Firmware Revision: 1.41
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2000 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RAM, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: No

The DVRFlash application will update most any Pioneer drive, not just my DVR110. You just need to get the correct PIONEER firmware.

Greetings Satcomer,
I found the same update, and using DVRflash got identical results.
I do have a question, why is the lowest burn speed available only 4x?
There's one client I have with a DVD player that wants general grade media burned at either 1x or 2x. I need to be able to burn at slower speeds for this one person. Any ideas?
I've tried using Toast, and Disk Utility.
Dual 1 Ghz G4, 1.5 GB ram, OS x 10.4.6, Pioneer DVR110 internal drive.
Thanks!

Satcomer said:
Well in my firmware travels I have discovered that PIONEER firmware has updates firmware for my G5 internal PIONEER DVR110 Superdrive (see my first post in this thread) 10 v1.41. So I did these steps (slightly different than my first post).

1. I downloaded the PIONEER DVR110 v1.41 firmware.

2. I then unstuffed the firmware's .exe files with Stuffit Expander that created a folder with three files in it. I paid no attention to the .exe. file, just the RA100010.141 & RA100110.141 files.

3. I then downloaded the current DVRFLash 2.2 for OS X. and unstuffed it. I then read DVRFlash's ReadMe files and followed these suggestions.
a) Created a new folder and named it DVRFlash.
b) From the DVRFlash 2.2 folder I put the DVRFlash application (the black Unix file) in the new folder I named DVRFlash.
c) I then put in the two firmware files (that I unstuffed from Pioneer named RA10010.141 & RA100110.141 in my created DVR Flash folder.

4. I now have in my created "DVRFLash" folder the DVRFlash application and the two PIONEER firmware files.

5. I then started up OS X's application called Terminal (yes you have to dive into the Terminal to be on the cutting edge) and typed these commands:
a) cd - then dropped into the Terminal the DVRFLash folder (that I created in the steps above). I now had a path to the folder. Then I hit the return button.
b) ./DVRFlash -vf PIONEER RA100010.141 RA100110.141 -- slightly different command than my first post. The two files after the PIONEER are the firmware files I got from PIONEER.
c) Hit the return key and then followed the directions the DVRFlash application (running in terminal).
d) After the DVRFlash application said it was finished, I restarted my Mac.

6. I now am running on my PIONEER DVR110 version 1.41 firmware. PIONEER says this firmware improves disk reading/writing.

Now this is on the bleeding firmware edge for my PIONEER DVD/DVDRW. System Profiler now reports this:

PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-110:

Firmware Revision: 1.41
Interconnect: ATAPI
Burn Support: Yes (Apple Shipped/Supported)
Cache: 2000 KB
Reads DVD: Yes
CD-Write: -R, -RW
DVD-Write: -R, -RAM, -RW, +R, +RW, +R DL
Burn Underrun Protection CD: Yes
Burn Underrun Protection DVD: Yes
Write Strategies: CD-TAO, CD-SAO, CD-Raw, DVD-DAO
Media: No

The DVRFlash application will update most any Pioneer drive, not just my DVR110. You just need to get the correct PIONEER firmware.

Well in my Toast 7 I can select burn speeds from 1x to 52x (for CD) and 1x to 16X (DVD). I haven't tried burning with Disk Utility. However with iTunes it lists burn speed from 1x to 24x and to the maximum speed of the internal burner. So I would guess that the client can adjust the burn speed in the program he/she is using too burn something.

I am using OS X 10.4.6 and have Toast 7 plus the latest iTunes. I would give an iDVD report but I have no need to burn a DVD at this time.

On a Mac G5 dual running SoftRAID I was able to successfully upgrade my Pioneer DVR-109 DVD drive to version 1.58 using your instructions. Thank you!

2nd Gen G5 Dual 2.Ghz
DVDRFlash2.2
I had to run it like this for it to work.
./DVRFlash -ff "A:pIONEER" RA100010.141 RA100110.141

But it worked!

I'd like to update my Pioneer DVR-K06 firmware since I have some problems with it, but DVRFlash still doesn't support it.
So, is there another way to update the firmware ?

TNX

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Satcomer.

I have been been trying for a long, long time now to upgrade my firmware on my internal Pioneer DVD-RW DVR-110D believing I would never ever achieve this holy grail. It has been a very frustrating journey until I uncovered this thread on the forum. Followed your very succinct directions using DVRFlash, and, hey presto! from 1.17 I now have firmware 1.41! Brilliant. Maybe, just maybe I won't have so many duff DVD's from now on.

Also, I used Pask29's '-ff' instead of 'vf' (so thanks to Pask29) and am all set to try backing up some work knowing that if I still get DVD coasters it won't be as a result of ancient firmware.

Kind regards
Mick

Back