HOWTO for Samba on OSX

The DJ

Registered
I love Sharity but I stil wanted a Samba server.
So after many hours of fiddling around. I have done it.
I've made a HOWTO, to save you guys a lot of trouble.
You can find the HOWTO here aswell as the binaries, which I have included.

I didn't completly test the HOWTO and binaries, cause I don't have a clean MOSX system to test it on.
But I think it will work, let me know of any trouble.

Can you put a readme explaining how to do it manually> With scripts stuff gets put all over the place and I wanna know whats being done. :)

Originally posted by hekal
Can you put a readme explaining how to do it manually> With scripts stuff gets put all over the place and I wanna know whats being done. :)

I suggest you simply READ the script before you excecute it. As a paranoid user i always read scripts before i use them.
Simply open it in vi or use cat.

I copy files to three dirs.
/usr/local/samba Here's where everything goes from samba
/usr/local/bin Here go links to the samba binaries (programs) It saves you the trouble of having to adjust your PATH
/System/Library/StartupItems/SAMBA This is the MOSX startup script. It starts your server when you boot the computer

hey dj, i have sharity running and it works pretty good i am also interested in samba do you think i should install it? also i have dave running one of my mac machines and i have it so it will share the one hard drive on it. When i go into sharity and try to open that drive it opens but does not show is files.can you help me?

thanks
garrett

Originally posted by garretwp
i am also interested in samba do you think i should install it? ...........When i go into sharity and try to open that drive it opens but does not show is files.can you help me?
Sorry it took so long. I have a lot of threads to watch these days and sometimes i loose track of them.

I would only install samba if you need to share files and you're not afraid of installing some unix stuff. Samba is hard to configure and even with SWAT it is not at real easy.
Furthermore, my latest release should work perfect, but i still don't garantue a thing.

I have the feeling sharing with DAVE is not really working in classic. Can other users on your network view the files?

DJ

DJ, does Samba allow me to map Windows shares? And will my computer show up as a share on a Windows PC?

Originally posted by hekal
DJ, does Samba allow me to map Windows shares? And will my computer show up as a share on a Windows PC?

I don't really understand your first question, but i guess you would like to browse you network as could be done with the DAVE app on OS9
No, that cannot be done, because OSX does not support the samba filesystem.
But there is a good work around for that. Use Sharity. http://www.obdev.at/Products/Sharity.html
It works similar to how you browse the network with DAVE and all. Some people report lots of problems with it, but it works fine for me

2: Correct, altough that is prob. gonna take some configuring. Look into the samba manual.
You can find a link at my manual page.
http://osx.macnn.com/features/installsamba.phtml

BTW. Did you get my second post on obliterate ?
I edited the script at the same time you gave me an answer. I had left a small bug in one of the paths. Although it worked even with the bug. It is better to get it out.

[Edited by The DJ on 10-06-2000 at 06:36 AM]

When i have sharity working on my macos x everyone can see the other mac;s hard drive running dave and go look into it. But when i want to look into it all i get is a blank window and stating it is private. But everyone else on the network like the windows machines can see it fine.

But when i want to look into it all i get is a blank window and stating it is private.

When you want to acces a drive with Sharity, the Sharity app has to be open. This is real important. If the app keeps crashing on you, then you are out of luck. You will probably will have to wait for the next release of Sharity (I don't have that prob. although i have somthing similar with Carracho for OSX)
If it asks you for a password and none is set, simply don't fill it in and click OK

DJ

It asks me for the password its that none of the files show up on the drive. I guess ill have to wait for the next update. Sharity is a good app the company gave me a student reg. number. But i wish i can connect to more then 2 drives at once.

It asks me for the password its that none of the files show up on the drive. I guess ill have to wait for the next update. Sharity is a good app the company gave me a student reg. number. But i wish i can connect to more then 2 drives at once.

Go to this post for more info on how to login without the app
http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=560&pagenumber=3
Look for one of the posts of kboston.

Unfortunately you need the app to register and take that 2 drives limitation out.

I did register for the student. But they only limit to 2 drives : (.

Sorry, you need to ENTER the your send registration code via the App. I think that will remove the 2 drive limitation. But you are out of luck, since you cannot open the app.

The app runs fine for me the student reg. code you get when and/or if you register as a student you only get a 2client/2 server limit. Thats what the guys at sharity told me when i asked them if they can give me more client access.

Back