[HOWTO] - Install Webmin on 10.1/10.0

yoshi

Registered
Before we start I wanted to state that if you have removed perl from your MacOSX installation that
HowTo will not work for you. Webmin is a Web interface for a lot of the Unix Command line utilites
like Sendmail, BIND 8, and lots of other things. The install isn't very hard if you follow the steps
below here. If you have any questions or problems please post asking here.

Step 1) Download webmin to your desktop http://www.webmin.com/webmin/download/webmin-0.91.tar.gz

Step 2) Start the terminal application and type: cd /users/yourusername/desktop

Step 3) Type sudo mv webmin-0.91.tar.gz /url/local and type your administrator password when prompted

Step 4) Type gunzip webmin-0.91.tar.gz

Step 5) Type tar -xvf webmin-0.91.tar

Step 6) cd webmin-0.91

Step 7) Type sudo ./setup.sh

Step 8) While running this setup it will ask a number of questions, you can leave most at the default
state but on the one that ask about your operating system Make sure you type the number for
MacOSX/MacOSXserver which is 42 I believe (I did the setup a while back) after that it will ask for a
version of the OS, type 1 for 10.0 and type 2 for 10.1 or above. The rest of the questions are pretty
self explanitory.

Step 9) Open up your browser and type in http://localhost:10000/ (if you changed the default port be
sure to type it instead of 10000)

I am very sure that most of you here will benefit from this HowTo: Have fun with it :)

Click the Other tab in Webmin, and then click Perl Modules. Click the button with "..." next to the CPAN option. Search for "SSL." Click the install button. It's supposed to download, extract, compile, and install it, but I keep getting an odd error.

You must install openssh (get it from openssh.com) version 0.96c and run the installers. Then get the lastest version of netssl and run it like this:

perl Makeinstall.PL -t

when done type

sudo make install

then it should work.. at least it did for me :)

`Yoshi

Webmin is cool. But if you are a new Unix sysadmin I have one piece of advice:

Don't use webmin until you don't need it. :)

Webmin's GUI will make some tasks really easy... but if you don't know how to do those things from the terminal, you haven't mastered them. In this case webmin will just be a crutch and it will hold you back in the future.

Once your skills have developed, webmin can be a nice time-saver though.

Just my $0.02.

Originally posted by vegemite
Webmin is cool. But if you are a new Unix sysadmin I have one piece of advice:

Don't use webmin until you don't need it. :)

Webmin's GUI will make some tasks really easy... but if you don't know how to do those things from the terminal, you haven't mastered them. In this case webmin will just be a crutch and it will hold you back in the future.

Once your skills have developed, webmin can be a nice time-saver though.

Just my $0.02.

I agree I think its best people learn about the terminal first before they dump into the GUI's. On the other hand for people who want to do something that hard one time I think that webmin is a handy tool.

`Yoshi

I'm really impressed by your knowledge, guys !
Maybe you could help me : I installed webmin, like Yoshi explained it. Everything goes well. Except for the address mapping.

Let's say I want to have two "webmaster" mail accounts. One on the domain name "domain1.com" and another on "domain2.com".

Domain1.com is my default domain. I created a user "webmaster" and a user "webm2" in "Users and Groups" (system preferences of Apple's GUI).

I try to create the address mapping :
Mail for : webmaster@domain2.com
Send to : webm2

And an error message appears :
"Failed to save Address Mapping : makemap failed :
makemap: error opening type hash map /etc/mail/virtusertable: executable files not allowed"

Do you see what it means ? What should I do to make it working ?

Thanks for your help !

Didj

DH Production

This sounds like a sendmail error, what you need to do is to make sure all the sendmail files are there under MacOSX. Sendmail under MacOSX is broken by default so if you haven't fixed it I do think that you should be worring about that first :)

~Yoshi

Hum !
And what should I do to fix it ?

Could you give me instructions how to configure Sendmail or how to build it from source, if necessary ?

You're very helpfull ! Thank you !

Didj

In a parallel univers, linuxconf disappeared too!

there are too many things glossed over using tools like this,
and much understanding is taken away.

CLI is the best way to go. Since we Mac Users are now
exposed to the BSD/Darwin underbelly, there are amazing
books and FAQs for each of these softwares which need
configuring.

I live by O'Reilly and Associates. I own most of the System
and Network Collection and most of the Security books too.

We have alot of catching up to do.

Luckily our toys are better than theirs.

Yes I agree, but in short for people who don't want or need to need this either because of time constraints or they want to do something simple that requires a lot of knowledge this tool gives them the power to do so. Of course you all can have your own opinions.

~Yoshi

I'm sure you know me by know, so here goes!

When asked which operating system, I type 42 as you say, but the message:

Operating system: 42
ERROR: 42 is not a valid operating system number.

???

****IGNORE THIS MESSAGE**** ... as I said, you probably know my ways by now, I should've read what was in front of my eyes!!!

Don't you all feel sorry for my computer!:eek:

I have navigated to the MySQL button in Webmin (under the Servers heading). it asks for the MySQL admin login and pass. But won't accept anything!

Further to this, I followed the instructions in your MySQL & PHP tutorial, to change password, now I am getting:

ERROR 1044: Access denied for user: '@localhost' to database 'coordinate'

or this:

./bin/mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)'

but I think I messed up somewhere in the terminal when using:

mysqladmin password new-password

I keep getting this:

[localhost:/etc/httpd] co% mysqladmin refresh
./bin/mysqladmin: refresh failed; error: 'Access denied for user: '@localhost' (Using password: NO)'

...and simple commands like this:

[localhost:/] co% mysql status
ERROR 1044: Access denied for user: '@localhost' to database 'status'

...and in root:

[localhost:/] root# mysql status
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)

:(

Sorry about the multiple threads, but I am new to this, and like what I see, a true convert!

[localhost:/] root# mysql status
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password: NO)

that tells me that you aren't using a password for the main SQL account. If there is one set you need to use that instead of something blank or nothin will work.

Back