[HOWTO] - Kill the Dock without hacks

RGrphc2

...InSaNe...
I'm not sure if anyone else gets Macworld every month but for people who hate the dock will love this (i don't but i know a few who do).

Open up the terminal and type this code :

defaults write com.apple.Dock orientation -string top

then open up the Activity Monitor and Quit Process for the dock, the dock will goto the top of the menu bar, where it will only activate on an extremely thin line.

On another note, if your going to do this, purchase DragThing, allows drawers on the screen, and can also place a shortcut to the trash on the desktop as well.

i know people who dislike the dock completely. and there are a few who can't stand it because they like OS 9 so much more, and i thought it would be nice to place this post for them. :rolleyes:

you can also use tinkertool to set the dock at the top, to auto hide.

then if you're not comfortable with the terminal, or lose the command, you aren't SOL...

for some people, they do not like the dock, i am guessing they dont post here, lol. :rolleyes:

Mainly this was a tip for anti-dock people who prefered the apple menu containing their files in OS 9 (like my sister) :p

so whatever, if you like the dock, fine, if you don't fine, if you don't know why this tip is here, it's because its a How To Forum and you don't need to do it if you dont want to! :)

Tinkertool is good. It hides the dock until you drag the mouse toward the bottom of the page. Very handy when you want to maximise screen size (more for laptops I think than monitors).

Fruit Menu will let you customize the Apple menu as much as you want, so you can use the Dock and that as much as you want. (And I'm not just saying that because I'm wearing an Unsanity shirt and hung out with the Unsanity team last night! :D)

Killing your Dock removes your trash can, as well.

Arden said:
Killing your Dock removes your trash can, as well.

Hence the reason for either purchasing drag thing, lets u place a trash can on the desktop or just use the folder trash trick, also posted in this forum.

Randman said:
Tinkertool is good. It hides the dock until you drag the mouse toward the bottom of the page. Very handy when you want to maximise screen size (more for laptops I think than monitors).

You don't need TinkerTool to hide the dock. Just go to System Prefs/Dock/Turn Hiding On. You CAN cause the programs in use to be made opaque when hidden using TinkerTool—a feature I like a lot.

Natobasso said:
You don't need TinkerTool to hide the dock. Just go to System Prefs/Dock/Turn Hiding On. You CAN cause the programs in use to be made opaque when hidden using TinkerTool—a feature I like a lot.
You mean transparent? ;) I like this feature quite well.

I used Tinkertool to hide the Dock and am now using Quicksilver in its place - i find this method much more productive and do not miss the Dock at all!

If you use tinkertool to set the dock position to Top, it will not
open when you move the cursor to the top of your screen.
You can use the "Apple" drop-down menu to make the Dock
veiwable again.

Doesn't the unix commanda KILLALL DOCK stop the dock. But you will notice the dock will automatically restart. Useful if you are hacking the dock preferences file.

isn't the dock the greatest thing in the world?

please (anyone who doesn't like it) explain to us n00bs why the dock is a bad thing, and why you want to remove it.

answers on a postcard

Back