[HOWTO] Mail - selecting multiple messages (and moving them)

oehm-smith

Registered
Mail has a quirky user interface which I've worked out. When you select a mail item and drag it, sometimes it doesn't move, such as if you wanted it to go in a different folder. Selecting multiple items has the same problem.

I discovered that you need to drag HORIZONTALLY first! So simple but so unintuitive.

Cheers,

Brooke

'I discovered that you need to drag horizontally first! So simple but so unintuitive.', and you can click and drag diagonally - as well.

What you cannot do is, drag vertically (up or down). Doing such performs a multiple selection.

-----

'Eudora' allows diagonal, horizontal, and vertical moving of a single e-Mail message, or multiple selected e-Mail messages, only after the e-Mail message(s) has (have) been first selected (clicked on once, prior to the click and drag motion).

Doing a click and diagonal drag will only additionally select those messages in the direction of the drag.

Press (and keep pressed) the 'Command' key - for non-contiguous messages selections.

-----

'Thunderbird' does what you appear to so desire - you click and drag, in any direction, and the selected item is movable.

For multiple e-Mail message dragging, one must press (and keep pressed) the <shift> key as the mouse button is clicked (on additional messages, or the last desired message) - for contiguous messages selections. Or press (and keep pressed) the 'Command' key - for non-contiguous messages selections.

-----

The way one can do a contiguous messages selection, followed by additional non-contiguous message(s) selection - is the same with 'Eudora', 'Mail' and 'Thunderbird'.

The way one can do a contiguous messages selection, followed by additional non-contiguous message(s) selection, followed by additional contiguous message(s) selection - is different between 'Eudora' and 'Mail'. Trying such with 'Thunderbird' - fails.

Back