[HOWTO] - Mouse wheel horizontal scroll

Lycander

Registered
(if this is very common knowledge, forgive me, I'm a recent re-switcher)

So you went out and bought a 2 button mouse, and it has a scroll wheel. Works fine for scrolling vertically but how do you scroll HORIZONTALLY?

Hold down the SHIFT key on your keyboard and use the scroll wheel as normal, the scroll view will scroll horizontally.

I find this to be very useful in Finder windows when I'm in a directory with lots of files and I set it to icon view and that makes the view have both vertical and horizontal scrolling.

Lycander said:
(if this is very common knowledge, forgive me, I'm a recent re-switcher)

So you went out and bought a 2 button mouse, and it has a scroll wheel. Works fine for scrolling vertically but how do you scroll HORIZONTALLY?

Hold down the SHIFT key on your keyboard and use the scroll wheel as normal, the scroll view will scroll horizontally.

I find this to be very useful in Finder windows when I'm in a directory with lots of files and I set it to icon view and that makes the view have both vertical and horizontal scrolling.

just programmed the thumb button on my logitech mouse as the 'shift' button. now I can press that and scroll horizontally.

I purchased a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer Mouse for this reason specifically. You have to make sure it has the horizontial scroll wheel as there are many differnent models in the Microsoft line.

It works perfect with Mac's both old and new through USB.
It is a treat to use for a small screen user as you can move all about the web browers ( many browsers and application work) with one hand.

5 buttons are all programmable for foward, back, right click, left click etc..
The scroll wheel goes up, down & left and right and also clicks.

It's worth checking out.

The new powerbooks have a 'Two Finger' scroll feature for the touchpad. I tried it out once and it is pretty darn good!

Can anyone check if the horizontal scroll works there too?

DiFi

tomsmith322 said:
The new powerbooks have a 'Two Finger' scroll feature for the touchpad. I tried it out once and it is pretty darn good!

DiFi

It absolutely does; and it's very smooth, too!

Marc

I'd like to note that for users of Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator, shift-scroll will move the window's contents vertically in page increments. Command-scroll will move it horizontally in small increments, while command-shift-scroll will move it horizontally in page increments.

Adobe InDesign doesn't share this behavior with the other Adobe apps. It uses shift-scroll for horizontal scroll, while command/control-scroll does magnification.

redkite said:
just programmed the thumb button on my logitech mouse as the 'shift' button. now I can press that and scroll horizontally.

Just programmed my wheel button to act as shift - now I sroll horizontally by scrolling the clicked wheel. :p

DiFi

do you happen to know if a powerbook g4 1GHz is capable of "Two Finger" scrolling? i'm a recent 'switchee', so i have no idea.

Back