[HOWTO] Re-install OS X programs(10.3.9 0r Lower) (like safari, mail, etc)

eric2006

iMovie Professional
I find that I have answered questions that require a re-install of some programs included with the general OS X install disks (stuff like Mail, Safari, iMovie (non-iLife), etc) Heres a quick tutorial on how to install these programs: FOR SYSTEMS 10.3.9 or lower.

First, you will want to delete or archive the program that you are replacing.

Next, you need to download pacifist from here: http://www.charlessoft.com/

Install it, then put your OS X install CD in your CD drive. Start up Pacifist (it will ask you if you want to buy it, just wait a few seconds and it goes away) Click the handy "Open Mac OS X install Packages" button. It will take a minue or two for the package list to load.. once it loads up, you will have to hunt around a bit for your program. For example, to re-install the system preferences app, you
expand the "Contents of Essentials.pkg" thing. In that, expand the "Applications" folder. In that folder, you will see the file "system preferences.app". Drag this to your Applications folder, and you're good to go.
As stated in the quote, drag the application you need to your hard drive, (in the appropriate folder), then launch it.

(sorry if I missed anything in this tutorial.. I'll add anything in thats mentioned in replies)
If something doesn't work or doesn't make sense, post and ask a question, or message me.

I was in the monitor application and I was trying to clean out the file that records all the speakable commands that have been spoken and the feedback responses, and some how I quit the speech feedback commands and now I can't use the speakable commands. How do I unquit what I did?

What is the quickest/safest/cleanest way to "uninstall" apps such as mail, safari etc?

Can you keep settings like bookmarks/mail boxes etc and replace them in the clean installs?

Back