[HOWTO] Tell Mac what to do when a camera is connected

Personally I hated iPhoto launching every time I connected my digital camera. I'm new at Mac (well not really we have it at school but it will only let you lauch microsoft office, safari, and internet explorer.). One day I was looking at how to tell mac what to do when a camera is connected. If you want to launch another app, or open the camera's mounted drive, or whatever, goto "Macintosh HD > Applications > Image Capture. After it loads, click "Image Capture" in the menu and then "Prefrences". Click the "Camera" tab and there is one menu asking you what to do when a camera is connected. Then quit image capture. You're setting is now set. This is so funny because the day I got my mac I was looking through the Apps folder seeing what all it had.

Hope this helps.

Often, people that dislike iPhoto starting when a digital camera is connect just choose the "do nothing" option.

You may wish to try the "Image Capture" choice. This will make accessible a cosy lesser known aspect of image capture. A simple and efficient tool to move pictures from your camera to the mac. Beats using the finder to move the pictures across. Try it.

Back