[HOWTO] - View RSS Feeds in OS X (out of the box)

ShadowTech

Registered
Although Safari will be adding RSS support in the 10.4 Tiger version of OS X, you can still view RSS feeds without having to download any 3rd party software.

Most people don't know that this is in Sherlock, and some people don't know what RSS is. ( For more information on RSS feeds go here )

To use this:

1. Launch Sherlock
2. Click on the Channels button
3. Click on the SherlockRSS channel
4. Enter the RSS URL you would like to read.

Yep, it's basic, but it gets the job done. ;)

Attachments

• Sherlock.jpg
    Sherlock.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 80
I think Sherlock is great! I actually use it quite often.
I hope it gets a significant update in OS X 10.4 Tiger.

Hmm... For people who're actually using Sherlock and have no need for a full-fledged newsreader, okay. But My 50+ RSS feeds need a dedicated reader, of course... Still: Nice find. When did this get added to Sherlock, btw.?

Great find!! I have not used Sherlock in awhile, but always found it to be a helpful app.

I don't know. It looks like most (if not all) of the stuff Sherlock does has a dashboard widget in Tiger.

Go to: Channels, "Other Channels", then wait a couple seconds until "SherlockRSS" shows up near the bottom of the list :)

EDIT: No, it's a 10.3 thing :D

Ohh I see. I didn't realize it loaded channels from the internet. It's like a small MacUpdate just for Sherlock. ;)

hehe, thanks Quion. What is the RSS url of macosx.com? Firefox somehow found it, but I can't find the url.

I have OS 10.4, which I just loaded last week. RSS newsfeeds automatically loaded into my NEWS bookmark, so it's interesting that other RSS feeds can
be accessed through Sherlock (I didn't look there since I assumed it was all in the News section).
Is there any way to arrange and edit the RSS feeds by topic and to edit individual RSS headers? It looks like they can only be arranged by title and date posted, but if I could arrange them by topic and source it would make choosing what to read a lot easier.
Editing to delete what I'm not interested in would also be great. I don't see a way to do that either.
Thanks,
Rich

Back