[HOWTO] wipe an internal hard disk

anweber

Registered
I'm wanting to sell my old Mac mini, but I need to know how to erase any and all private information that I don't want any possible buyers to have access to. How do I go about this? Thanks!

Use your OS X install disk (boot with it). There you can reformat the drive and over install OS X again. Then you can just update to the latest version of OS X, then sell it.

There's an Options button in Disc Utility, where you'll find the choices to Zero out the data on the drive, depending on how much time you've got and how much you want your private information overwritten there are choices for all ;)

Also, the forum you posted this thread in is for "tutorials" and "how to's", as in "this is how to do that ... "

Anweber,

For future reference, the HOWTO section is for providing HOWTO instructions on cetain topics, not for asking how to do a particular task. Just so you know. :)

My friend and I stick a pin into the holes in the top of a hard drive once.
It wiped it somehow...

Although, I don't reccomend it...

:p

Is the drive your system drive?
If not, you can use disk utility. (found in Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities > Disk Utility.app, then you can install OSX.

• (or) Insert your installation disk.
• Hold 'C' on startup.
• Here you will be able to open disk utility from the top of the installation (or) choose the option to zero out your drive. Then install.

I'd recommend doing it when your booted normally (if its a secondary drive) because, its quicker and easier. (in my opinion)

Charlie.

Last edited:
. . . because of your signature I can occasionally use this:

englishmofo0fc.gif

:)

--J. "But I Am Trying to be the Shepherd!" D.

Back