HP iPod isn't blue at all

mi5moav

Registered
Here are the photos. I really don't get it. It looks like HP is just reselling Apple's version no changes what so ever. I guess they thought don't mess with a good thing. That blue color just wasn't very hip either. Maybe they will have an HP logo on the bag and in the software boot screen.

http://h10049.www1.hp.com/music/us/en/index_flash.jsp

Only difference is the stickers you can put on same color exactly, nice site though, with all the flash.

Those sticker music tattoos are very strange. I wonder if that was and Apple/HP or third part idea.

The boot screen is also the Apple logo. The box is in a HP box. However, this is a very good thing as the distribution channels that HP has available to them will certainly get the iPod in even better circulation.

Sorry, I meant to retract that... You can link to it from the HP site, so it's obviously not a fake. There were a lot of bad links and links to "#", but that's probably just because it's a new site. My bad.

That is the HP site, I was there yesterday looking up some other info and that is how they do their website.

How about this?
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00216824

The listing of supported file types includes unprotected .wma. Is this a unique feature for the hp iPod? I know lots of windows users with vast music libraries saved as wma's, who would love to get an iPod, if it would support those files. The only other option for these folks (besides ripping the original music to mp3) would be the wma -> aac transcoding available in iTunes 4.6. That's not the best option for audiophiles.

commenting on the 'tattoos':

if they're smart, the tattoos will include on them, a scratch resistant (non stick) clear covering for the screen. if you're gonna wrap it up with something anyway, why not protect the screen too?
i don't know, maybe it would look bad, or not work so well, but i think the idea has some merit...

they've got an updated apple black case - it has a window so you can see the screen. thats so much cooler. i still think iskin's are the best.

Did you guys even read what the web site says?

>>>>introducing the Apple iPod + hp

download iTunes for free..

It looks like hp is just a reseller. If you can't beat 'em join 'em.

just a ridiculous short list of "audio/video entertainement systems"

not even announced as OS-X compatible !

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 32
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 14
nojay said:
How about this?
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?lc=en&cc=us&docname=c00216824

The listing of supported file types includes unprotected .wma. Is this a unique feature for the hp iPod? I know lots of windows users with vast music libraries saved as wma's, who would love to get an iPod, if it would support those files. The only other option for these folks (besides ripping the original music to mp3) would be the wma -> aac transcoding available in iTunes 4.6. That's not the best option for audiophiles.

that listing refers to iTunes and NOT the iPod.

be sure that any iPod will not be supporting wma in the near future :)

in any case, im kinda happy with this deal. it seems Hp is selling the exact same iPod (contrary to what we thought). this is basically good news for apple and the iTunes music store.
bad news for all the competition!

soulseek,

I stand corrected. Thanks for the clarification. It did seem unusual for them to advertise windows media support.

I agree with Cheryl in that this is very reminiscent of a Dell style re-seller type deal. HP seemed to have something different about their selling of the iPod earlier, but not so much now.

I think the question is about marketing mainly and the name of the device. I'm hoping that Apple has some sort of clause that the iPod must always carry the Apple logo and possibly even the Apple brand name. Apple iPod + HP works, but HP iPod does not. My qualm seems moot, but since we're now seeing actual reported increased sales in Apple hardware during the back to school season, despite not even having an iMac available for the public, due to the iPods all the kids have bought, I think it's important that the Apple name continue to be pushed with the iPod....or next time, little Billy gets a brand new HP to complement his hPod, instead of the iBook that was built with his iPod in mind.

Back