HP laserjet 4300tn setup confusion

Skulkerboyo

Registered
Hi
I have to set up a macbook pro to work with a postscript printer for a user that has to take it off site to a show.
Problem is I've no idea how to do it!!!
the os version is 10.4.8 and its a dual core intel. I'm trying to connect them with a crossover cable but they just dont see eachother. Whats standard practice for connecting a mac to a printer direct?

The MacBook doesn't need a X cable, the port should detect the wiring itself, at least my MB Pro does. The trouble might be, that the MacBook and/or Printer don't have an IP address because they are configured for DHCP. Outside your Network, there is no DHCP server to assign an address. The same holds for a name server. You need to add the printers name to the file /etc/hosts (only available from the command line and only modifiable by root.)

The printer had a manually configured ip however the mac was defaulting to the APIPA range (not a mac guy so forgive me if use MS descriptions) with a class b subnet mask. Manually configured them to be in the same range and they are now working together happily

You should setup a separate network configuration for the MB if "on the go". In network preferences there is an easy way to select between multiple configurations.

You need to add the printers name to the file /etc/hosts (only available from the command line and only modifiable by root.)
Not (quite) so.

Download the free TextWrangler from BareBones

Once you have it tell it to install the command line tools. (under the TextWranger menu).

Then open Terminal and type “edit /etc/hosts” (without the quotes).

Ta Da, TextWrangler will start and open the hosts file. When you want to save it click the pencil tool on the left side of the menu bar, it will have a red slash through it. It will then ask you if you really want to edit the file and provided you’re logged in as an admin user you will have the file writeable and be able to save your changes.

Last edited:
Back