hp lazer 1600 printer driver for mac

ricksherman

Registered
I recently purchased an imac with the latest leapard os. Are there drivers for this printer? If not can I load a windows disc and go that route?

I followed the print driver directions and did manage to get the 1600 to print in B&W. I then when to localhost:631 to change my color options but it didn't work. I then restarted my computer and printer and now I can't seem to print at all. Anyone have any thoughts?

I followed the print driver directions and did manage to get the 1600 to print in B&W. I then when to localhost:631 to change my color options but it didn't work. I then restarted my computer and printer and now I can't seem to print at all. Anyone have any thoughts?

i'm glad you could get your printer to work. enabling color is quite easy as well. u got the first step right. you need to open up your browser and go to

localhost:631 (without any www. or nothing). on the page that comes up (a screenshot is below) go to the "printers" tab on top then click on "set printer options"

leave your print quality: Normal Mode
Color mode: Color
Bits Per Plane: 2 bits Per plane
rest of the settings as default (check the screenshot below)
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/6808/picture1bt.png
click set printer options once done and close the window

then go to system preferences -- Print and fax
double click on HP Color LaserJet 1600 (screenshot below again)

http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/7871/picture2copyi.png

on the window that comes up click on "printer" and then click "print test page"

this first time print might take quite a while. (as a matter of fact it made me think there was something wrong and made me send a couple of extra test pages). (screenshot below as well)

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/4929/picture4w.png

once the print is complete (with the color wheel printer properly, meaning in color). just for the sake of it print a say color word document and printing should start faster as usual.

hope this helps :)

Have just followed your instructions. When i print the testpage everything looks fine. But when i print a photo it looks really weird - like some kind of negative in colour. I have checked all the settings - and it is set correctly. Any ideas?

Henrik, Denmark

Last edited:
Hi,

I have the same problem with it only printing in B+W but when I follow your instructions to change it color and click set printer options, it asks for a name and password and whatever I enter doesn't seem to work. What should I enter here?

Thanks very much for your help

PJ -- can you tell me how you got this to work in color? I'm having the same trouble you had. Thanks!!

It sounds like you are using the wrong color model—RGB instead of CMYK or vice-versa.

Where can I find settings of the color model? Or is this a whole new driver.

Note the test page prints in color fine... just pics from iPhoto and embeded in a word doc

Thanks!

PJ -- can you tell me how you got this to work in color? I'm having the same trouble you had. Thanks!!
how have you gotten on? Have you figured out - I am stuck as pictures are sort of negative effect while colour graphics are fine... even photos in word etc do not come out right.

Where can I find settings of the color model? Or is this a whole new driver.

Note the test page prints in color fine... just pics from iPhoto and embeded in a word doc

Thanks!
Printer test pages are stored within the printer. A printer knows how to print its own test page. The test page ensures that the printer mechanicals and toner are functioning properly. That is all.

Your Word documents will print properly only if Word and MacOS X tell your printer how to print them properly. This is where the color model comes in. Printers use the the CYMK model. Computer monitors use the RGB model. For most consumer applications, RGB is the primary model. The printer driver converts RGB to CYMK. For many professional applications, CYMK is the primary model.

Without access to your iPhoto images, there is no way to know what which model they adhere to.

Hi,

I have the same problem with it only printing in B+W but when I follow your instructions to change it color and click set printer options, it asks for a name and password and whatever I enter doesn't seem to work. What should I enter here?

Thanks very much for your help
PJ how did you figure out how to fix it?

Hi.. I'm having the same problem.

So happy to find a solution... almost got it going but can't get the color.

I've followed all the directions installing the drivers and as expected the printer spit out only black and white. I then followed the directions to get the color working but alas, the printer still only prints the testsheet in black and white. I've tried several times, making sure i'm following the directions closely but nothing has worked.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Jason

Back