Hrmm...things are getting buggy

Silock@CSi

Registered
Weird bugs I've started encountering lately --

When I open a Finder window, some of the icons in the favorites toolbar of that window will be missing and shown as a blank "page" icon.

Mouse issues -- occassionally, the mouse cursor will just go NUTTY and move around the screen...occasionally, I can't click and drag stuff on the Finder.

Keyboard -- sometimes, it hits keys that I didn't hit (ie, randomly pressing return, spewing out a few letters here and there).

I haven't installed or uninstalled anything in weeks. Nothing about the configuration of my computer has changed, and it's just started to act a little wacky.

Any ideas on what I can do?

Run fsck and see if that helps, I would also run a utility like DiskWarrior or TechTool Pro.

To run fsck, you first need to start up your Mac in single-user mode. Here's how:

1. Restart your Mac.

2. Immediately press and hold the Command and "S" keys.

You'll see a bunch of text begin scrolling on your screen. In a few more seconds, you'll see the Unix command line prompt (#).

You're now in single-user mode.

Now that you're at the # prompt, here's how to run fsck:

1. Type: "fsck -y" (that's fsck-space-minus-y).

2. Press Return.

The fsck utility will blast some text onto your screen. If there's damage to your disk, you'll see a message that says:

***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****

If you see this message--and this is extremely important--repeat Steps 1 and 2 again and again until that message no longer appears. It is normal to have to run fsck more than once -- the first run's repairs often uncover additional problems..

When fsck finally reports that no problems were found, and the # prompt reappears:

3. Type: "reboot" to restart,

or type "exit" to start up without rebooting.

4. Press Return.

Your Mac should proceed to start up normally to the login window or the Finder.

What is fsck exactly? I appreciate the help!

hulkaros - 10.2.6 on a dual 1 ghz G4, 1 gb RAM, GeForce Ti4600 128 DDR

I'm beginning to think my whole system is screwed up. Keychain ALWAYS asks me for iChat passwords, Mail passwords, iDisk utility passwords, even though I've run keychain repair several dozen times. Repairing privileges always finds new privileges to repair, even though I run it back to back to back. Is this normal?

Silock

Sorry to hear you're having problems...

ME TOO!!! :mad:

My Dual 1GHz is just a complete pain to use nowadays - I've switched it off and left it under the desk until Panther comes out - it's got to be better than the way it (doesn't) operate under Jaguar...

In the meantime, I guess I'm bloody lucky to have my PB...

Best of luck, mate!

ed

Originally posted by Silock@CSi
What is fsck exactly? I appreciate the help!

hulkaros - 10.2.6 on a dual 1 ghz G4, 1 gb RAM, GeForce Ti4600 128 DDR

I'm beginning to think my whole system is screwed up. Keychain ALWAYS asks me for iChat passwords, Mail passwords, iDisk utility passwords, even though I've run keychain repair several dozen times. Repairing privileges always finds new privileges to repair, even though I run it back to back to back. Is this normal?

Boot from Jaguar install cd and erase and install... I think this is the fastest solution to your problems :( Afterwards, install 10.2.6 Combo Update and not the standalone 10.2.6 Update. Then install all other updates... In the end, repair permissions and enjoy a fresh OS X.2 system...

The thing scared me the most is the repair permissions loop in your case :eek:

Unfortunately, Erase and Install is the best solution to this problem :eek:

Back