Huge delay when using my D2 bigdisk extreme

case

Registered
Hi all

Im running OSX 10.3.9 on a G4 800mhz quicksilver machine and im using a 600gb D2 Big disk extreme firewire drive.

I have made 5 partitions with one being used as a Scratch disk for Photoshop and the like,
One being used to house my photos, from which they are being catalogued using Extensis Portfolio 6.1 (which resides in my Apps folder on the OSX drive)

the problem is when waking up from sleep/on start up, when i have'nt used my machine for a while (lets say 15/20 minutes) - im getting the rainbow spinning beach ball of doom for about 20+ or so seconds (always the same length of time and same noise order).
When opening a finder window relating to one of the partitions on the drive i hear the external drive clicking and working away then the window opens to reveal its contents.

THIS ONLY HAPPENS TO THE D2 DRIVES - the native drives (which have 3 partitions) are working perfectly.

And this happens wheather or not im using one of the partitions as a scratch disk.

If i dont leave it too long before openning a partition window, i dont get the problem- it opens just as a finder window should.

Ive run diskwarrior, repaired permissions - still the same!

Im quite sure this is not normal. By all accounts this is supposed to be a lightning fast drive

Dont get me wrong, the drive seems to be working just fine when im in its enviroment - its just this annoying long delays every so often

Has anyone else had this problem with this drive, Has this been an issue with the drive or drives like it?

Hope that made sense.

It sounds like the drive is going to sleep (spinning down), and the delay you're experiencing is from the drive cylinders spinning back up when you try and access it.

In "System Preferences," under "Power" or "Energy" (the lightbulb icon), is "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" checked? If so, try unchecking it.

Back