Hundreds of untitled folders on my desktop

govinda

Registered
Anyone ever have folders start appearing on their desktop? I had 500, then I restarted and there were 300, and now they're propagating with different names than 'untitled folder.' Some are named 'RequiredSystemBreakdown' and some are called 'CheckFormat' along with the usual couple hundred untitled ones. This is on a Quad 2.5 G5 running 10.4.8.

And it's not just me. The girl who works next to me on a dual 1.4gb G4 had 150 'untitled folders' on her desktop.

Well I've never seen this one - it sounds like a problem in the file system. Have you run a scan/repair in Disc Utility?

I'd run Disk Warrior, which I've seen deal all the time with things like incorrect folder counts. If you don't own it - yet - you could download Applejack, a great, free startup script. Assuming that repairing permissions hasn't helped, and that you've started up from your install disk and run Disk Utility from there, which is the only way DU can repair.

With Applejack, MainMenu or another utility, just once run a Deep Clean of all your system caches as well.

Haven't googled this - you could - but the only way to start is with knowing you've cleaned and repaired the normal things ... and somehow I suspect that isn't regularly done??

Interesting problem - Good luck!

Back