HW/SW and Steps to Converting A/V: Analog to Digital

christopher94523

Registered
Like many of you I have a vast and "already paid for" collection of amnalog media that I have the desire and legal RIGHT to convert to usable format. of course, corporate lawyers monger fear but my original purchase contract gives me the right to play, convert, and transfer what I paid for as long as I do not profit financially from the activity. The products they sold me were essentially made obsolete -- breaking their side of the contract -- so i have no other choice but to stave off work and costs of converting my legally-owned and obsoleted analog-based media contents to a viable digital media. Once again, I apologize for stating the obvious, but many still fear the corporate twits and need not, in fact - should file a class-action lawsuit against them for breach of contract.

I have a collection of over 1,300 33-and-1/3-rpm record albums, another 400 pre-recorded audio cassettes, and over 400 pre-recorded VHS tapes.

I have an iMac G5 running X 10.4.7, a PowerMac G3 running 9.2.2, and a IIci running 7.6 operating system versions. Also: XP and Debian based systems. For obvious reasons, my system of choice is the iMac.

I have the hardware (M-Audio Mobile Pre-USB preamp) through which I run my Technics turntable or Technics cassette player).
I have an adequate DVD/CD player: JVC XV-N510B that plays DVD-audio, DVR-R/RW/RAM, DVD, CD, SVCD, VDC, CD-R/RW, WMA, MP3 formats and does digital stills on CD-R/RW (as JPEG).

I also, obviously, have Garageband.

I want to convert my music on LPz and cassettes to digital, as well as VHS tapes that the industry has chosen to remove from the public domain: the 1974 film "Kid Blue" (starring Dennis Hopper, Warren Oates, Peter Boyle), the 1971 film "WR: Mysteries of the Organism" (by the director of "Montenegro" and "The Coca-Cola Kid"), the cartoon "Duckman") into vaults of horders, thieves, and censors. Oops! I digress into the anti-human nature of Capital and exchange-value. Sorry.

I am in search of all (and variant) hardware, hardware hookup, software tools, and software usage steps to accomplishing these conversions.

I am also interested in the how-to of adding English voice-overs for foreign language films.

So, this thread is a focal point for those of us to share and accumulate some viable and valuable methodologies for conversion.

thanks and best wishes,
christopher94523
rasputin@teleport.com

Back