Hypercard Issues under 10.2.6

qwerty

Registered
I know that Hypercard is not pretty much defunct, but I still find it very useful.

My problem is with linking stacks together with the 'start using' command. The stacks get linked, but the functions don't seem to get called.

I have all my Applescript routines in a single stack that all the others link to, and under 10.2.6 it does not work.

Any one go any ideas other than switching to Super Card? It is an option that I am considering but some of the other apps run in Classic, so Hypercard still fits so far.

Lloyd

I was hoping that some one could jump in and help you.
Do you still have the problem?
I am assuming that you are running Hypercard in classic as I know it does not run on 10.2

No one responded but you, but that may be because no one is quite doing what I am.

I am trying to run in Classic mode under 10.2.6, it works fine under 9.2.2. I have one stack that I has all my Applescript routines and I can link to it from any other stack by using the 'start using' command.

Under 10.2.6 the stack is loaded into the tree, but the Applescript calls never seem to get to it. I have to make up a test stack to see about HyperCard routines are seen and work or not.

I don't want to put the individual Applescript routines into every stack because maintenance becomes a nightmare. I may have to look at SuperCard or bite the bullet and learn to develop in Applescript Studio.

Thanks

Lloyd

I developed quite a number of stacks in HC - intranet eMail, labor estimation, etc.

I've switched to Revolution (www.runrev.com). It's what HyperCard would have become if Apple had not abandoned it. Download the free version, play with it, but make sure you join the mailing list (which you will be prompted to to when you arrive at the DL's page). It's an amazing product and, for a HyperCard'er, it's very familiar territory. Transcript is a superset of HyperTalk.

I managed to get some of my scripts to work under 10.2.6 the way they should. It turns out that one of the logging subroutines was the trouble maker. Once I commented out that call, the Applescript functions started to work again.

Now I just need to figure out what is wrong with the logging function in Applescript or easier yet, just rewrite it in Hypercard with the same name.

I have some more testing to do to but I may be able to get the basic portions working with a bit more tweaking.

Lloyd

Back