Hyperlinks in Word

xgipper

Registered
Hi - I have Word 2004.

Up until today it has been creating and displaying hyperlinks in the way I prefer - I highlight the words I want to link, go Command K and put in the link, and it displays the words in a different colour in my document. I click on the word to test the link and, eventually, it opens the page in my browser so I can check the link.

However today I copied some text from a document supplied to me, which displays links in curly brackets with the word HYPERLINK and then the full address in " marks, into another document I'm editing it in.

Not only can I not make the doc I pasted this into now display links in my preferred way, above, but now, even when I open older documents that did display in the way I prefer, they now show links with curly brackets.

What settings affect how Word displays these links, please, cos I'd really like to change it back, ideally by default. Can't find the answer in the help.

As ever, many thanks.

I found the answer so thought I'd post in case anyone else ever wonders: select either the individual link or the whole doc, right click and select 'Toggle Field Codes'. Done.

Having just done the latest security update on 10.5.8 - not sure if that's related - now I find my own answer doesn't work.

Neither does unchecking 'field codes' in Preferences > View, and neither does pressing Option F9. Anyone anyone? How can I just show the links and not the codes again please? Darn thing!

(Text Edit may also be similarly affected - have to test further. )

Back