Hypothetically...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EccFiveSeven

Registered
I am going to ask a question...just for fun...

Assuming that somebody who has Panther wasn't at the Developer's Conference...I'm wondering where they would have gotten Panther from?

Any guesses?

It's research I swear....

no seriously, there are too many issues that prevent me from being able to upgrade right now, I just want to know.

I could tell you... but then I'd have to kill you. ;)

In all seriousness, this is taboo here. But they might be discussing it at some other less classy Mac OS board.... :D

Isn't it available to developers by order from the ADC site (for the purpose of testing software for compatibility)?

From the Zoo? I dunno...:confused:

Who was Penelope Pitstop's arch foe... wasn't it the Hooded Claw (or Claude or something)? Put his voice to EccFiveSeven's request, it sounds so much better :p

It's great hearing about all the tweaks and new things, but why have a beta version now (unless you were beta testing or a developer) with some things still needing fixes? I remember having a headache and a half with the first Jag beta. Why not just wait a few months till the gold version comes around?

You can order panther beta if you are a registered developer. I think they just take a low fee for delivery or so...

I already said I don't want to install it, I'm just wondering how this is supposedly 'spreading like wildfire.'

These are the answers I expected, you all pass the test.

EccFiveSeven, it's 'spreading like wildfire' because it's obviously stable enough for apple to release it as a beta, and given that it IS a beta, and that they gave it away free at the wwdc, i can't see why the mods/owner/your neighbor's cat should/would/or do care if people are told places to get it. I can't see apple turning around and sueing scott for allowing people to post places to obtain a beta of an operating system, which is only on the 'net because they gave it away for free in the first place.

Edit: because it's not available for consumers, we are not going to let people give directions on getting it.
cybergoober's post is about as close as will be allowed

The fact is, you can't go to Apple's site and download it, so directions for getting it by other means is against the board rules.
--Captain Code

because it's not available for consumers, we are not going to let people give directions on getting it
Which part of giving it away free to EVERYONE at WWDC means it isn't "available for consumers". Consumers, are users. So the countless thousands of people at WWDC don't count because they got their free version on a CD??
I can understand why scott doesn't want people providing info on sharing material such as copyrighted music, apps, etc. But this is ridiculous. If apple didn't want every tom dick and harry who wanted it, to have a copy, they wouldn't have given away free copies at WWDC. They did it, to let people see how killer this OS is, and to make people want the finished product, and hence buy it.

The developers were given it to help them prepare their applications for when 10.3 comes out. Apple does not want people to distribute panther beta. If you read the agreement when installing it(assuming you did), it says something to the effect "you may not distribute, copy this software.. " etc.

Had it said "please feel free to spread this around the internet for everone to mess with" then there wouldn't be a problem.

Apple fully expected it to spread around the net. They can't stop it really. They still don't legally allow you to make a copy and send it, post it, upload it etc.

Developers at WWDC paid thousands of dollars to go there. That gave them a "free" copy of panther.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back