I am getting a sun

AdmiralAK

Simply Daemonic
lol..well it aint a new sun, its an old sunSPARC.
No one is using it so I asked for it lol.
I can make it into a server ;)
(or take it home and play with it :p)

Admiral

I'm trying to get rid of all my old Sun's :) The generate too much heat and raise my power bill too much :)

Brian

What do u have ? :p
Maybe I can aleviate one off of u :p hehehe

-- I work for a university so other people's trash is my gold since I can play with stuff that people dont use any more :p

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
lol..well it aint a new sun, its an old sunSPARC.
No one is using it so I asked for it lol.
I can make it into a server ;)
(or take it home and play with it :p)

Admiral

Congratulations on the newest member of your new extended family, Admiral! :D

But I hear that buying things for suns is expensive....um....just like a real Son!
*lol*

Depending on the model, anything you want. Most companies use them as servers, but a large number of engineering companies use them as desktops. It's kinda like asking what can you do with a mac :)

Brian

at the computer science dept in my school we also use them as desktops, and in general as terminals to the servers where most of our work (as students) is done.

If I cant get my hands on that SPARC (or if it sucks horribly :p) I might just get that ss5.
What are the specs of the ss5 and the IPX ? -- what is their value ?

Well, the specs of the IPX are "slow" :) It's a whopping 40Mhz sun4c processor maxed out with 64M of ram :) It is the size of a lunchbox, and I'll part with it for the cost of shipping/packing and a 6 pack of Bass :)

The SS5 is the fastest of the SS5's, a 170Mhz sun4m processor in it, with iirc either 144 or 168M's ram. The box goes on ebay for probably about $100 alone, but it also has an hme 10/100 sbus card (it's a 10bt le card onboard), a sbus f/w scsi card, cg6 sbus video, and the piece de resistance a sun sbus video capture card :) I'll part with it for probably $150 plus shipping for the whole package. Oh, also have a type5 keyboard/mouse (might still also have a type4, don't recall, but if I both will go) that I'll toss in for a 6 pack of Bass :) (notice the recuring theme)

Oh, also have a nice DEC alphastation 255 with OSF/1 media and manuals :) It's Brian's computer clearance, come one, come all, everything must go, low low prices. If someone doesn't buy one in the next 24 hours, I'll club this baby seal, make a deal to save the seal :)

Brian

PS: for those without a sense of humor, i do not have a baby seal

PSS: ...... but i do have a teenage one :)

congrats, Admiral ;)

I have a Sparc5 here and it is a nice machine, I installed the standard LAMP on it (or should I say SAMP) and it worked fine as an intranet webserver, though I never really used it (why should I have two intranet webservers?) but you will find a task for it...mail/web/fileserver...anything. When I played with that thing, I even thought about getting a Blade, but went for the SGI Fuel since actually I am doing more visualisation, I don't know much about Suns and I've become a big SGI fan and recently took my first classes to become an SGI service partner, but the Suns are very nice machines nonetheless.

The guy I bought my Onyx from was a sun service guy, his house was covered with Suns...

SGI's are such pretty desktops. Before I got my G4 my main desktop at home was an Indigo2 R10k with dual solid impact cards. I loved that thing to death was hard to part with it, but I'm happier now with my G4. SGI's IMHO are by far the best UNIX desktop (not counting apple) their ease of use, color control, etc. is just great. Ofcourse, IRIX itself has many little quirks that makes it about as different from other NIX's as AIX is, but it's still fun to play with. That said, I'd just about never use an SGI as server tho, just too damn hard to admin them remotely without a GUI. I'll stick a Sun box out any day of the week to be a server over just about anything else out there.

Brian

Originally posted by btoneill
SGI's are such pretty desktops. Before I got my G4 my main desktop at home was an Indigo2 R10k with dual solid impact cards. I loved that thing to death was hard to part with it, but I'm happier now with my G4. SGI's IMHO are by far the best UNIX desktop (not counting apple) their ease of use, color control, etc. is just great. Ofcourse, IRIX itself has many little quirks that makes it about as different from other NIX's as AIX is, but it's still fun to play with. That said, I'd just about never use an SGI as server tho, just too damn hard to admin them remotely without a GUI. I'll stick a Sun box out any day of the week to be a server over just about anything else out there.

Brian

Ah, good old Indigo2! Nearly got a good Indigo2 from eBay sometime ago, it had the MaximumImpact board, but when they crossed the 200 dollar line I was out...I already have too many machines...

At the moment, I only have two desktop systems, the Fuel and an O2, my main workmachines are two desksides, a heavily tuned (4x R6000 250 Mhz CPUs, 4mb cacher per CPU...so not really a standard Onyx, plus dual RMs) Onyx RE2 (network renderer) and an Onyx2 IR3. I used to have an Octane 1 for about a week, but I sold it again because I had no use for it, I prefer my quiet O2 as a desktop...the Octane is very loud. I also have a very old Crimson VGXT which does nothing at the moment and a tuned PowerChallenge as File/Webserver. I find IRIX systems to be pretty easy to administer, with SSH even from far away, but you have to know what you do. A GUI remote admin tool is something I never use, I just like a shell better. It takes some time to get used to IRIX since it has a VERY special GUI (especially when it comes to window focusing) but I am damn productive in it if I might add that. Not to mention that IRIX is maybe the fastest Unix with windowmanager I know. Then again, it's hard to compare systems. It's not a pretty OS, but blazingly fast and stable! I love it. Still, I am happy that I have my Macs :)

As I said, Suns are impressive servers, the only reason why I don't use them is that I don't know them as well as SGIs.

Speaking of Suns, anyone want to buy my Blade 100? It's the standard layout, but with 384 megs of RAM. I'd rather not have to ship it from NYC, but can be persuaded. :)

What this might sound like to the lay person...

Originally posted by AdmiralAK
[I am getting a sun]...lol..well it aint a new sun, its an old sunSPARC.

I have Saturn with underSPARK - and it knocks and pings a lot too. When it knocks, I don't always answer the door, it's fun to listen and see what it might do next. When it pings, it's like, I'm in a submarine. Oh wow, this is like, totally cool, I mean GROOVY!

I might be getting a Jupiter next, I dunno, maybe a Moon, perhaps a Venus or a Mercury. I have to wait and see what the availability of these are going to be like once demand increases.

All I know is that this baby's gonna have the Ununoctium processor (element 118) with a transwarp drive bus...oooohhh....aaahhhhhh...Sound impressive? It isn't.

Hilarious :D
even more hilarious the RIAA signature, :p --- they would have to bring the CEO to the reception desk to read the email :p

Originally posted by hazmat
Speaking of Suns, anyone want to buy my Blade 100? It's the standard layout, but with 384 megs of RAM. I'd rather not have to ship it from NYC, but can be persuaded. :)

What's the deal on the Blade? What's wrong you decided to dump it? I hear it's fast compared to the Ultra 5 or 10.

Originally posted by Oscar Castillo

What's the deal on the Blade? What's wrong you decided to dump it? I hear it's fast compared to the Ultra 5 or 10.

Nothing's wrong with it at all. I simply never used it for what I had thought I would. I'd rather see it used than just sit here doing nothing. And yeah, is fast. What's also nice is that it takes standard PC100 RAM and has a regular VGA port, so any standard VGA monitor will work. And it's USB. :)

Back