I am going crazy with this!

yuki

Registered
I have an item which cannot be trashed. It is locked. When I unlock it -- the damn thing losks up again. When I try to move it out of the trash, it just duplicates itself in the trash -- there are 14 frickin' of these items now in the trash and I can't get rid of them.

The HD is not partitioned but instead I installed another HD for 9.2. When I start up off of 9.2, I still can't empty the trash.

Would creating a new user and then login under this user help? Right now there is only 1 user -- me the administator. Is there any way out of this?

You can remove stubborn trash (which can happen when there is a permission problem with the trash) by opening a Terminal (in Applications/Utilities).

type "sudo rm -rf " (leave a space at the end, and don't press enter yet).

Then, find the file you're having trouble with and drag it onto the terminal window. The text at the prompt will automatically fill in with the file's name.

Now, just press enter. You will be given a warning about using sudo (respect the privacy of others, etc) and then you'll be prompted for your password. Type it in and hit Enter. There, all done. Now you can close the Terminal and relax.

Back