I am going to shoot myself in the face

goingtohurt

Registered
Please anyone I purchased the new os 10 and in the mac showroom the sale person said the extended desktop feature would work with my imac Does it realy work? if not is there an adapter mad to get it to work id like to use a larger vga monitor with a 15 pin connector. Yes I know there is a port on the back of the imac im not trying to mirror it id like a extended monitor for final cut pro photo shop ect.

I am under the assumption that you need two video cards to have two monitors. Unfortunately, I don't know of any that work through firewire etc, (only PCI) so I doubt that it is possible to do anything else except video mirroring through the VGA out port.

iFunk

Shooting yourself in the face will hurt -- don't do it. Instead, shoot yourself in the little pinkie toe on your left foot. It won't cause as much damage, won't hurt as much, and, heck, who needs that toe anyway I say.

OR ...

as Ronald Regan's wife used to say (and Nike) ...

DON'T DO IT!

There is no such "extended desktop" for any iMac. The iMacs' video cards allow only for video mirroring, IIRC. You need a tower with a second video card (or the new TwinView card) to make your desktop flow into another monitor.

Sorry, man.
Surely it can't be that bad.

BtW, what kind of moron told you that? Where were you shopping?

i don't know, but if he walked into the store looking anything like the pic on his homepage i am sure they would have told him anything to get him out of the store.

And GL, after you've seen his homepage you might want to shoot him in the head!! I'm a pacifist so i will only make snide comments and rude remarks.:D

seriously, you should go back and get the salesman to show you everything he knows about this. I have no doubt you will look and behave like your picture by the time you are thru with them.

Back