I am suprised no one has said anything about Half-Life 2...

Uhm....I'm sorry if I come across rude, but what are you on about?

The fact that games run better on PCs rarely has anything to do with faster clockspeeds. Read the article on Barefeats.com that Lycander mentioned. It is available here.

Notice, none of the offered reasons have to do with clockspeed. Hardware wise, PowerPCs are competitive with x86 offerings. Even more so if Altivec is used and code is vectorized. On x86, SSE2 is somewhat similar to Altivec, although not as powerful. Even so, not many games actually vectorize their code.

how did we go from hl2 on the mac to cpu wars? hl2 will not come to the mac because valve, for some reason, simply will not do it. the truth may be because it just is not ecomiclly feasable, and it will never be untill the mac gets a much, much larger market share, which is really what the software makers look at.

If you've followed the thread, you'll see that I post a major reason for them not porting is due to the Havok physics engine that Valve uses, which is not available for Mac OS X. It would be too much trouble for developers to port it for what they perceive as far too little gain.

No idea how it spiralled into a CPU war though :). Well, it's more like a CPU misunderstanding.

Tsk tsk tsk - are you guys still waiting for HL2? Anyway - about IPC - Intel are very poor at that with the Pentium 4s usually managing 1 IPC whereas Athlons execute a tad more at around 3 IPC. This proves the earlier clockspeed theory wrong my friend. That is how an AthlonXP at 2.08GHz can outperform a Pentium at 2.8GHz. THis is why when i clock my AthlonXP to 2.8GHz i am getting the performance of a Pentium 3.6 Extreme Edition. So games dont need a faster processor necessarily to play at their fullest.

well, macs are no expensive playstation like pcs. It's not self-evident for game developers to cover the mac scene with games. I wonder why one pays more than $2000 for a good pc when you can get a playstation for what?... 100 bucks? ;)

Zammy-Sam said:
well, macs are no expensive playstation like pcs. It's not self-evident for game developers to cover the mac scene with games. I wonder why one pays more than $2000 for a good pc when you can get a playstation for what?... 100 bucks? ;)

Well said....this is especially true since most of the PC users like this particular person seem to only use the PC for gaming, and nothing else. Sometimes, it's just better to get a dedicated device suitable for the task. This is why people buy consoles for gaming, and also why people buy Macs for TRUE productivity. ::angel::

I can't stand playing a first-person shooter on a PS2.

Once in a while some console games do ship with bugs. On a PC, I can just download a patch and the problem goes away. On a console though, too bad the discs are printed, done deal.

More often than not, PC games allow you to save your progress at any given point in time. Rather than rushing to the "magical stone" or whatever to save your progress.

Online multiplayer gaming on the PC is still far far ahead of the offerings on the console. That might change in the upcoming generation of consoles because they finally realize "gee, people like playing online with others and are willing to pay for it."

This last point might be debatable. My instinct tells me that the library of games on the PC is vastly larger than consoles. My brother use to bitch and moan about having to buy a whole new console every year to play the new games. Well I've had my PC for 5 years now, and year after year I keep playing new releases without having to replace my PC. The count of playable games increases even more if you factor in emulators that let you play old consoles images.

Is that worth $2000 plus dealing with viruses, worms, hacks, spyware and God knows what? I'd rather change my console every year but pay 20times more for a pc, which is losing its value maybe by half every year. And lately I got the impression that really good and famous games are quickly licensed by the console manufacturers to make their consoles more attractive.
I think that the very lively warez community for pc games and pc software makes a pc so tempting.

Don't forget that PC's tend to become obsolete much faster than consoles. A PS2 that you bought in 2000 can still play the latest games, in 2005. A top of the line PC in 2000 will not run any of the games today.

Is it worth it? Sure why not. I don't see it as a problem because I'm smart enough to not let that crap into my computers. It just takes a little effort, but unfortunately many people are impatient or just don't want to learn. Only once in my life have I gotten a virus and that was 7 years ago.

Believe it or not, there is a small population of Windows users who are smart and can maintain a decent running system without letting it get ridden with malware.

And that "warez" community you speak of is the birthplace for most of the viri and malware, so I stay away from that.

And although certain games appear on consoles first, there are just as many that appear on PC first or exclusive to PCs. That is until they figure out a way to make things work without a mouse and fewer keys for functions. Diablo is one example. Heck even RTS games like Starcraft eventually made it to consoles but that's long after their glory days on the PC.

In the end, both have their yays and nays.

It's been ages I had so much fun playing a racing game, than I had yesterday playing Mario Kart Double Dash. And it was single player. Can't imagine how it will rock when we finally get a second controller.

On the other hand, I play Starcraft again, and that would be a pain on any console.

After all, it depends on the type of game you play/want to play. Racing, Jump n Run, Beat em Ups etc are best on consoles. Shooter, Real time strategy etc are much more fun on a PC/Mac to play.

Sports games are more fun on consoles, hands down. I know you can buy a controller for Mac/PC, but still. Consoles have the controller by default, and we need something immediately to throw at our buddy when he starts that obnoxious "in your face" dance.

Back