I am thinking of going Skype. Advice needed.

sgould

Registered
Just back from a holiday in the US. Our friends there used their hp laptop for telephone calls through Skype. They also had a Netgear handset.

If I go VOIP, is Skype the way to go? I am in the UK.

I've read the Skype site, but I'm not sure what is really needed, or what the costs are.

Can I use the microphone and camera in my black MacBook?

If I use my MacMini, what headset would be best? Is a second camera essential?

Finally any advice on the best set-up? Where do you link to the landlines?

I would also like to use it as a "home phone" when away from home in hotels around Uk, Europe and (less often) the USA. Is this possible?

Any guidance or useful links gratefully received.

I see it's been ten days since you posted, I've been out of action for a while, and I'm surprised someone else hasn't answered your queries before now. I'm in NZ and use Skype regularly.
Q1. Skype is a great way of keeping in touch with other willing parties in all sorts of places.
Q2. Costs are minimal, you don't need an external camera or mic, your MB should use its own, the Skype preferences should detect them. If not, buy an external camera and download the appropriate macam driver - check this:
http://webcam-osx.sourceforge.net/cameras/index.php (for external cameras if req'd).
Q3. A headset is good for clarity, both audio and vocal. Logitech is a reputable brand, there are plenty of choices including other brands, some are very cheap.
Q4. Skype generally requires broadband, although it will work (poorly) with dialup. Voice and video via Skype goes through your regular router-modem.
Q5. Using Skype via hotel and/or wireless connections? Check with your ISP or that of the place where you might be staying. It should be possible, as long as you're logged on to Skype.
A hint: if you've have any experience of two-way radio, you'll find it invaluable. There are lags when using Skype and you'll often find yourself interrupting the sentences of the person with whom you're talking. It's quite useful to say "over" when you've finished what you want to say - and encourage the other party to do likewise.

Useful info. Thanks! :)

I have 2MB broadband at home. Way back I used my old Performa with the Apple phone and voicemail system, but it lost support and we went back to traditional phones.

Looks like I'll get going and sign up.

Be aware its free only to other skype users - though you can buy very cheap skype-out credit for calling normal numbers at lower than normal rates. Equally you can buy a skype-in number so peopel with normal phones call call a regular number and be connected to your skype account.

Also skype states you still should have a 'real' phone for things like emergency calls.

I use Skype for several years know. I travel in Europe, USA and Asia and really like to have good communication with my family when abroad. Go for it.

Just shut it off when you do not use it as it can use unnecessary bandwidth.

I'm in my first week of "magicjack". So far, so good...

(yes, the website is beyond bad)

I use skype instead of normal phone for my international calls. Even if calling phones with it isn't free, it's 80-90% less than what the phone companies charge. Or 99 % less than O2 charges for calling to US.

Back