I am unable to go to the website www.dropshots.com

Country Mouse

Registered
Hi, I have a MBP and was running 10.4.10. I use Safari as a browser. I have previously posted pictures to Dropshots and often view my son photos there as well. Shortly after I upgraded to 10.4.11 I was unable to get onto this web silte. I have no trouble with any other site that I have tried. There is no error message, the address line starts to fill with blue then stops and stays there for ever. (hours) I have since upgraded to Leopard and the problem is still there. I have repaired permissions from the install disk. I have no peripherals attached to my machine. Can anyone give me an idea what to do?

Lil

Last edited:
i have a similar problem, so i hope its ok the post it here ...

i cant download a file from the hp website... the leopard needs an update for the printer and when i click on the file at the hp website, it tells me that the file doesnt exist in firefox and unknown error in safari...
first the blue bar start to fill up, stops after 2cm for a while and then switch to the error message...

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...n&cc=sg&dlc=en&product=3235312&os=219&lang=en

but i tried it on a windows pc and it worked normally ...

neither safari nor firefox want to open the file and also the explorer in windows xp in my parallels desktops dont want to open it...

any idea why this is not possible ?

Immrama, the file download is with ftp. Can you download it with an ftp program?

Country Mouse: Have you tried other browsers, like Firefox? That's the simplest thing you can try to fix it, so it should be your first step.

It sounds like it might be a problem with your ISP, though, and the timing after the OS update was just coincidence.

As a test, try changing your DNS server to OpenDNS. You can do this in System Preferences > Network. Copy your current DNS servers before changing it so you can change it back easily when you're done (if you want to).

How long have you had this problem?

Didn't the 10.4.11 update include Safari 3.x? Maybe updating to that might resolve the problem if Country Mouse is using Safari.

I am using Safari 3.0.4. I haven't tried Firefox yet. Will go and look for it now. In the mean time I changed the DNS server to OpenDNS. The instructions say to choose Built in Ethernet. I am using Airport with a third party Router supplied by my ISP. I did follow the instructions exactly and I still can't open Dropshots. I know that I have the correct address because I googled it went from the link they supplied.

Have now downloaded Firefox and still no luck. It opens a tab, says "loading" and the little spokes go round and round but dopshots never loads. Again I can get into other sites, I have tried many and only dropshots won't load.

Any more ideas? This is important to me because my son and his wife in England just had twins and I want to see them!!!

Lil

Last edited:
If you're using airport, I'm pretty sure you should enter it under airport. Seems like bad instructions to me.

You can test whether it works by clicking on OpenDNS's "Get Started" link. If you do that when you're already using OpenDNS, it will say so in a green box on the page.

I have now entered the OpenDNS server numbers in both built-in and Airport (although the original numbers are grayed out in Airport so you cannot replace them only add new ones.) I did test it as you said and it says I am using OpenDNS. Very Frustrating!!
I am still unable to open Dropshots.

Could it be that I need to trash a .plist file? Which file?

This is such a weird problem!!

Back