I bought a Mighty Mouse

senne

Registered
Yesterday i've bought a Mighty Mouse (55€). I'm quite happy with it, but there's one annoying glitch.

When i click in the middle of the mouse, i always get a Right-click. When i click 1cm to the left beginning from the middle of the mouse, i sometimes still get a Right-click.

It really doesn't work as Apple says it should work. Has anyone also experienced this problem, or should i return the mouse to Apple to ask for a new one?

Well I love my mighty mouse, but I have experienced the problem of when you start to left click and drag something and you accidently expose the windows by hitting button 4 (click in middle) it makes it so I cant open up anything anymore... I have to reboot to make the mouse work properly again... so I just disabled expose on button 4

Can somebody merge my 2 threads? I accidentaly created two.

I don't think it's the same technology as the iPod, but it is comparable.

When I bought mine about 2 months ago I loved it...except for those side (4th buttons) everything worked just fine. Occasionally you had a miss on the right click, but after spending a few days getting used to it that went away.

Now I'm not too happy. I can't scroll down anymore, but can still scroll up and side to side. The roller just doesn't "catch" when scrolling down. So I guess I have to return it to CompUSA and get another. Hopefully the next won't die so quickly.

I initially thought it was kind of cool, especially since Apple finally came out with a two button mouse sort-of. And having tried it out at the Apple Store I thought it was OK. But the more I think about it I would much rather have something from a third party manufacturer anyways. It would definitely be cheaper than the Mighty Mouse and a lot more functional.

nixgeek said:
I initially thought it was kind of cool, especially since Apple finally came out with a two button mouse sort-of. And having tried it out at the Apple Store I thought it was OK. But the more I think about it I would much rather have something from a third party manufacturer anyways. It would definitely be cheaper than the Mighty Mouse and a lot more functional.
I agree. The Mighty Mouse is quite an expensive mouse. You can get much more functional and better working mice for a lot less.

I got mine as a gift, I usually keep it in its box and take it with me when I am on the go with my laptop. On my desktop I use a Logitech MX518 gaming mouse, its 1000x better... now I really want the new Logitech G5 laser mouse... mmmm

I haven't had any problems with the Mighty mouse, but going back and forth between a normal mouse and it I still haven't gotten used to lifting my left finger up when right clicking, can be kind of annoying. The scroll ball is a blast though.

I usually hold up my finger for the right click anyways no matter what mouse I use, so that wouldn't even be an issue for me. I've already accustomed myself to that.

I guess I would just feel more comfortable with something from Logitech since i've been using them for years . :)

My Logitech mouse is perfect, never breaks, and caters to all of my functional needs. Like others have said, and suggested, its cheap. :D

I am so used to the single button mouse, that even on my PC at work, I automatically click and hold down what I think is the ctrl key.:( I thought about the Mighty mouse, still happy with my Apple mouse, even though the scrolling on my PB 15 would be nice. I have a intellimouse from M$, don't even use that. The Apple mouse feels more comfortable in my hand.

You've got scrolling on your TrackPad, no? If your model hasn't got that yet, you can use iScroll2 ...

I use Mighty Mice at work and expect to have one come when I buy my next computer (hopefully very soon). All the same I am going to continue using my Kensington mouse. I've tried Logitech and Kensington mice and I find them both to be exceptional in terms of their quality and ergonomics. The one thing which is a deal breaker for me is Kensington's software. I like it better than Logitech's, especially the ability to program chords.

Blah, I think Apple wanted to flip the bird to everyone who has been screaming for a two-button mouse forever. Technically, they still have never produced a two-button mouse. The Mighty Mouse is still one button, with right-click functionality that mostly works, and is sort of intuitive.

Problem is, most folks just want a normal two-button mouse.

Logitech doesn't cater very well for left handers though! Shame, they look like a great mouse. gwynarion cad as duit? An bhfuil tú in ann Gaeilge a labhairt?

Thought I would give Mighty Mouse a try, since it was a cheap Apple gift to myself. Being a long time Mac user, it takes a little learning curve to accumulate to the two buttons. So far I like it.

powermac said:
Thought I would give Mighty Mouse a try, since it was a cheap Apple gift to myself. Being a long time Mac user, it takes a little learning curve to accumulate to the two buttons. So far I like it.

I'm a Windows convert and the only thing I didn't like about it was that I normally rest my finger on the left button whilst I press the right. Because MightyMouse uses sensors and not buttons, you have to completely lift your finger off the left mouse button in order to press the right, which feels weird for Windows users.

Reviving this old thread, because today I've bought myself a Mighty Mouse. In short: It sucks. There are three distinctive problems:

1.) I feel like I'll get carpal tunnel in no time after using the mouse for only a couple of minutes. I guess I'll have to hold it differently somehow, but it just doesn't feel right. I have no problems with a bigger mouse (the oldest optical Microsoft mouse is the one I love best, actually) or a smaller mouse (a smaller MS I've bought gives me no trouble, either), but this one somehow... Well it doesn't feel right. I hope I'll get used to how it feels, because else I've just bought something to hang on the wall. (No, I won't give it away, I really like how it looks on the wall.)

2.) Drag & Drop doesn't work. So you click on a file in the Finder and start moving. If you have to move it more than, say, 400px, you have to lift the mouse. Dashboard or whatever function you have on Squeeze kicks in and drops the file. Or the click-function just goes away. Either way: Can't really drag a file from A to B. This sucks.

3.) Right-clicking. I know. You have to move the left finger in order to make the mouse notice right-clicking. I think this is what gives me that carpal tunnel feeling, really. Half of the time I forget about lifting my left finger first, I swear, do it right and almost get a cramp in my right hand. It sucks.

Really... I can't state it any differently: There was nothing _wrong_ with how other companies designed two-button mice with scroll-wheels. Apple could have even _done_ the thing with the scroll-point-thingie, but the mouse really needs two actual buttons, I believe, in order to work right. Since this is now the default mouse on new Macs, I strongly feel that Apple has to change it. I'm aware that some people like it, and I really like how it looks, too, but for now, I'm going back to my MS mouse.

Back