I bought my first Microsoft product yesterday.

Qion

Uber Nothing
I decided a couple days ago that instead of clogging up my work computers with assorted video game titles -as I have done in the past-, I would buy a dedicated console. So, this past weekend, I went to Best Buy and did some shopping. I decided that the PS3 was just a bit too niche (a cell processor is lovely and all, but it's much harder to code for than three G5's), and that its Blu-ray drive would probably burn up in a couple years anyway. The Wii is cute, but it just doesn't satisfy my gaming style.

Lo and behold, I bought an Xbox 360.

I realize this is not really consequential, but I'd like to point out that Microsoft have made a product that truly beats the pants off of everything else. The graphics are phenomenal all the way from 480i to 1080p, the controller feels as close to perfect as I believe it could, Forza 2 is my favourite game in the world (a Microsoft Studios game, no less...), and the tabbed menu system just works.

Needless to say, while I'd rather drink sulfuric acid than use Windows for work, Microsoft does make one hell of a game console.

I've found that some of the hardware that Microsoft puts out is top notch. I especially like their mice. I usually either pick from Logitech or Microsoft when it comes to mice. Their Xbox systems are great as well (despite some of the heating issues they tend to have).

Nice. I've had my 360 console for about 8 months, and I was very impressed. Not just with graphics, but the appearance, online play, networking, everything.

A few games you can try if you haven't played the computer versions: GH3 for sure, F.E.A.R., Gears of War, Rainbow 6 Vegas, Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf... I hear Forza is cool too, I've only played the demo version on XBOX live. Definitely research games before you buy them.

I was so effin excited when I bought mine that I just went to the store and bought any 5 games that had good looking covers and descriptions. Half way into the games I thought to myself "this game is crap" to at lease 3 of them, Superman Returns being one of them, and stopped playing it.

The only thing about it is the accessories can get a little expensive (I'm unfamiliar with some of the competitors prices). But the HD DVD player is around $200US, and the wireless network adapter's about $100. And definitely get the rechargeable batteries and dock for the controllers. Running out of batteries and playing wired gets annoying quick.

Cheers, GAME ON!

Back