I Broke My iBook!

Trip

Registered
Somebody please help me!
Last night I noticed my compter slow down greatly! I could barely get the Apple menu to pop up to shut the computer down, but after I did shut it down I noticed it went to the shutdown screen, but then something under the left side of the keyboard made a sound like a broken fan wing! I think it's ether my HD or the fan that's making this noise, but ether way the computer now won't start up or anything!

Can somebody tell me what I can do about this, or where I can go for more help? I really need to get this fixed!

How old is it? You should take it in to a Apple tech. It could be something that is covered under warranty. Especially if you did not drop it.

No idea on what may be broke, but as to where to take it to get checked- Uh.....MadMac?(or Mac Docs) Both are great with customer service and fairly reasonable.

The only thing near the left side of the keyboard that would make that kind of noise is the hard drive. If it started making spooky noises, then it could have been a seek problem, potentially caused by bad blocks on the disk. Will the computer still boot from a CD? If so, get out an OS 9 CD, and run the Drive Setup program that should be in the Utilities folder. One of the pull down menus includes an option for testing the disk, and that will look for bad blocks. Whether or not it will be able to fix them is another story...

Back