i can Work with that

pds

Registered
I've been playing around with the trial download of iWork and am very happy with Numbers for the most part. It opens my Excel sheets fairly well - mostly font and some formula concerns in the importing, but nothing I can't handle.

One thing I find irritating is that I can't align text vertically (type bottom to top of a cell or a merged block. I can do it with a text box, but that is clumsy and I can't get it to stay locked to a cell. It is a very useful function that keeps columns well documented but thin. I wonder why it was left out.

It's not a deal breaker by any means, just a small thorn that keeps the package from being a hands-down winner for me.

Anyone else using the package? Thoughts?

I noticed with great dissappointment that functionality such as PIVOT tables are missing.:(

Numbers will simply convernt the visible result of the Excel pivot table to a numbers table. Quite pointless actually. :eek:

Had I known I would not have bought iWork.

My sheets and workbooks are rather flat and mostly self-contained, no pivot tables. I gather they are necessary for any kind of accounting solution.

So Numbers is clearly a non-professional spreadsheet for the rest of us. But it really falls short in simple areas as well. A major annoyance is that I can't split windows and freeze panes. WTF - this is basic, necessary stuff in every spreadsheet since Multi-Plan for the C64!!! That is a deal-breaker, I have stopped fooling around with it and won't register the 30-day demo.

I have made a "basic" attempt at using it, and observed the following quirksome point.

Entering formulas cannot be done using simples cursor key movement, you actuall have to use the mouse to click here then there, etc.

This dramatically increases the time taken to enter even a simple =a1+a2+a3 formula.

:(

uhhh- really?

i can enter formulas from the keyboard - type = type the formula name and open parenthesis and if it goes all cap you know it recognizes the formula. Then you can either type the cell or the range or select it with the mouse.

There is the "select a formula and do it my way" approach, but thankfully the old way works too.

That is correct,

What I'm talking about using arrow keys. In excel you can place the cursor in a cell type "=" then use the cursor keys to move to a cell, say a1, then typing "+", which generates the formula "=A1+" then use cursor keys again to select cell "a2" and hit return. This gives "=A1+a2". This is a great feature for very quick calculations, particularly when you have a keyboard with a number pad.

In numbers this is not possible. You need the mouse or must know that a cell is cell "A1". This slows things down dramatically.

Back