I cant connect my OS X to my Win2000

SAbsar

Mac Graduate
I just got my iMac, and would like to connect it to my existing Win2000 machine to transfer all my data. I have connected the two computers DIRECTLY thru a lan cable (a single lan cable connecting both lan cards). I am totally blank on how to get both my machines to communicate..

Im totally frustrated.. please HELP!! :(

First tell us what you've done in addition to just plugging them into each other. What network settings have you used?

I believe the network port on Macs has a way of auto crossover so you can use even a straight through cable to connect 2 machines, no need for a specific crossover cable. But I haven't ever tried this myself so if you feel like it put them on a hub with 2 regular straight thru cables.

I'm going to go ahead an assume you've done the following already in your attempts but read through it and see if you've done this or tell me what you did differently.

1. Give each machine a unique static IP address: 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2 and both with a subnet of 255.255.255.0

2. Try to ping one machine from the other to determine if they can see each other.

If they can, go on to step 3 if not troubleshoot it from here.

3. Pick a folder on the Win2000 machine and share it. Remember the share name you gave it, I think the default is just the folder name but you can change it to whatever you want, I like to share only one folder and call it "share".

4. On the Mac side, in Finder, go up to the Go menu and select Connect to server, or just press COMMAND+K. Type in "smb://IP ADDRESS/SHARE NAME

IP ADDRESS being the IP of your win2000 computer and SHARE NAME is that name of the share you created earlier.

If all goes well you should get the network drive icon on your desktop.

Oh! YES! It is working now... but there is still a little problem:

When I select Connect To Server, it give me some weird error message i dont understand. Plus it does not give me a list of shared stuff, i have to type it in :( this is a HUGE turn off... can you tell me how to fix this?

Yeh, i DO have both computers directly connected w/o a hub or anything, coz i dont need one. :)

Attachments

• picture 1.pdf
    25.9 KB · Views: 11
It would be helpful if you actually post the error message so that some one else may decipher it!

I'm not 100% sure but it is to my knowledge that smb will not list shares, you have to know the share name ahead of time.

So the thing that I dont get is whether you actually have connected to the share yet, but are getting the error or what?

Also, you say that it doesnt list your "shared stuff" Is this that you dont see the files in the shared drive in finder?

If you just want to get data to your mac, it is less troublesome to connect to your MAC from your PC. First turn on SMB shareing (preferences/ sharing/ Windows file sharing)

I do ssem to remeber that you need to allow your user to connect from windows

(preferences/ accounts) - select your account and type in your current password (a trick for young players becuase it does not ask for it, but options are greyed out unless you do)
then check the box "allow user to login from windows"

Now on your windows machine, type \\IPADRESSOFMAC\YOURMACUSERNAME, type in your username and password and your away.

Never had an issue with doing this. Should work a treat

Is it possible to connect two ethernet card without a hub with a cable? Don't we need a cross cable ( wire connection is reversed). In the past I did transfer files between my Powerbook and Windows connecting with a cross cable and same subnet address but a different ip address in both (changing only last number). With Powerbook working as a FTP server and WS-FTP as ftp client on the windows machine.

yes it is possible. Depnds on your hardware as to whether you will need a cross over. Many new NICs will autodetect in which cas you dont need a cross over cable. However, to be on the safe side, probably better to use one

Ya, i managed to get the network working, but still when i click CONNECT TO SERVER, i have to TYPE in the IP of my windows machine. i dont get my windows machine listed on the list :( Thats the only problem i have left.

If it is just one or two hosts, add it into your netinfo/ machines node.

Start netinfo, unlock it and put in your root password.

Select your machines node and duplicate the create a new object with the same attributes as localhost, but obviously with the IP address of the actual host and the name. This will allow you to call it by name in you "connect to server" menu

Once you get the Windows machine mounted, drag it's icon to your Favorites folder. It'll give you an alias, fatser to connect. Just go to the Go Menu to Favorites and it'll be there.

Back