I desperately need to know how to record sound on my imac!

Dlatu1983

Prime Minister
I have an iMac LCD G4, and for mother's day, my brother, my sister, and I are making my mom an iMovie slideshow of family pics from when we were little kids up to the present. My dad's away on business, and he won't be able to be here. I decided to have him speak loudly over the phone, and I could record a message to include in the movie. I tried it on iTunes, and the mic picks his voice up just fine. The only problem is, when I'm recording, an error pops up that says "the disk was too slow" etc. I'm only able to get a 4 or 5 second recording. Is there any other app (freeware or already on my mac (I'm running OS X 10.2.6) that I can record through my built in mic with, and then export it as an MP3 to use in an imovie? Thanks!

you can record right into iMovie.

just click on the audio button on the right side of the screen and then the little button with a red dot next to the microphone input meter.

Attachments

• imovie.jpg
    imovie.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 15
There's also a bunch of free or shareware for recording aiffs etc, have a look on versiontracker or download.com. But if iMovie does it then you're sorted, especially if you're using it anyway.

Amadeus II works fine for me :) Although it's shareware and you have to pay to save a file methinks ...

Dlatu1983,

The only time I've ever seen the "drive too slow" error in iMovie when I accidentally saved to a SAMBA (Windows) volume.

Your laptop hard drive should be fast enough. How long since it's been defragged? Also, is it almost full?

Doug

Back