I found an Easter Egg in 10.2!

kommakazi

Hack the Planet!@#
I found an Easter Egg in 10.2 totally on accident this morning while trying to turn off all sharing on my iBook before bringing it to school. I opened the System Preferences and clicked the 'Sharing' pane. At this point, System Prefs stopped responding for a couple minutes and very slowly loaded the sharing pane. I let it sit and came back in a few minutes, the pane had shown up but the app was still lagging for whatever stupid reason but I noticed a really wierd name and description for the Sharing! It said "Cupertino Sharing On" and below the botton to start/stop sharing it said
"Lots of information for you.
and you.
and timmy."
At this point I took a screenshot, which I have attached. I have no idea how to activate this easter egg, if anyone could figure that out it would be great. This is no hoax, look at the screenshot yourself.

Here it is:
easter_egg.jpg

This is NOT an Easter Egg. You accidentally stumbled upon a hidden feature found in all modern operating systems since 1998. The National Security Agency (NSA) keeps electronic tabs on internet usage 24/7/365. If you recall a couple of years ago, Micro$oft Windows was discovered to be sending information back to Big Brother whenever the user connected to the internet that could NOT be turned off. The same goes for Mac OS. This was also discovered in Mac OS 9 three or four years ago, and I think it involved Sherlock and Apple Software Update, though no one successfully figured out "what" was being sent. If you recall correctly, M$ Windows keeps track of all websites visited, all CD's, DVD's, and software that computer has been exposed to. I suspect that the NSA requires Apple to track the same if not similar information.

Let's take a further look at this:
Cupertino Sharing On
Lots of information for you.
and you.
and timmy

Clearly, if we examine the contents of the message closely, we can see this:

Cupertino Sharing On
Lots of information for you.
and you.
and timmy

It doesn't take a really active imagination to see this means "Spying On YOU"!!!

Congratulations! Job well done. Now, just tell us all how you did it.

I just got it to happen again today. I took my iBook out of my backpack and was setting it up here at home. I opened System Preferences and clicked the sharing pane. For some reason it takes a really long time to load, and I realized internet sharing was already on when the net worked on my other computers so I tried to force quit it. But I didn't force quit, just closed the force-quit dialog. Then I saw it again for just a couple seconds, just like last time.

If it's a penny for your thoughts and you always put your two cents worth in, who's getting all these extra pennies?!

Perhaps the question should be rephrased: Who is losing all their pennies, marbles, etc... This is called Brain Debt, a condition or affliction that eventually leads to absolute and utter Stupidity.

Well, not to pick nits, but since we're already going there....

I believe the penny/two cents joke was first used by comic Stephen Wright.

You should try listening on your network device by typing "sudo tcpdump -i en0" in the terminal.

Replace en0 with whatever device you are using to connect to the network or internet such as ppp0 for a modem.

That command(without the quotes) will dump every packet sent and received on the device it's listening to.

Let us know if it's sending anything!

You should close any applications that might use the network such as Mail.app, MSN, ICQ, etc.

kommakazi

When you posted your screenshot, did it ever occur to you to REMOVE your IP address from the image? Well, it's TOO LATE now. Just a suggestion so no one tries to make you pay Guido over there to prevent the data on your computer from having an unfortunate *accident*.

192.168.*.* is not a routable IP address. It's a private address. There is no danger here, let's move on.

Vanguard

Just a suggestion: how about setting you IP address to match the IP in the screen shot and then try the same steps he tried?

Back