I had a stupid accident last week...

loyaltubist

Registered
My iBook fell from the coffee table in my living room (barely two feet). I was afraid for the worse but the computer wasn't damaged physically. I checked the hard drive, the memory, and everything else. Nothing is loose or missing.

So then I rebooted the computer. I got a notice that the computer was hanging. That was when I tried to boot in OS X. I tried OS 9 and it didn't recognize the hard drive.

Next I tried to reinstall Mac OS X. The image started as an Apple, then changed to the international "forbidden" sign. I don't have a Mac OS 9.2.2 installation disk. I think that's what I need to erase the disc and start over from scratch.

Does anyone know of anyone in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam, with a Mac OS 9.2.2 installation disk? Whether or not it works, I promise to buy that person lunch at the Texas Bar BQ Restaurant on Pasteur Street in District 3!

Thanks!

I don't think the drive is broken. I have an old 9.0.4 startup disk, which is not recommended for this particular iBook, and it starts the computer, though it freezes up just before it finishes.

My mother had the same problem with one of her Macs and I was able to start it with a 9.2 startup disk, erase OS X, reformat the entire hard drive, and reinstall everything.

If you're getting the "do not enter" sign (circle with line through it)

follow the steps in the link below. (Though it could also be a damaged drive) Older portables do not have SMS technology (Sudden Motion Sensor) which stops the drive from spinning when it detects a sudden drop. Drives that are dropped while spinning can lock up as the needle that reads the drive is stuck in a bad position.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106805

I'm pretty sure reinstalling getting OS 9 is the key. Now all I have to do is look all over Saigon for someone I can borrow a 9 startup disk from--Remember, I'm offering a meal of your choice at the Texas Bar BQ on Pasteur Street in District 3 for the one who can help me.

Thanks!

Back