I had an awful time trying to connect to my Parent's wireless

Wrxified

Registered
I can't understand it. I set their network up. They use a D-Link wireless router. It's wide open. I sat their for an hour trying to connect but my Powerbook G4 simply didn't recognize any network. I sat there next to my brother and dad connected with their notebooks. I could only connect through ethernet on the back of the router.

What can I do to troubleshoot in a situation like this. Is there a program like NetStumbler for the Mac. I'm still very new to the Mac environment and don't complete understand all of it.

I've connected to countless coffee shop networks, friends networks and so on.

Hi Wrxified and welcome to the forum.
Few things you should add: os version, hardware, router settings (MAC filter? WEP? WPA? DHCP? fixed IPs? VPN?) and signal status on your mac.
I have two things on my mind: either you have a mac filter activated or a WEP key. However, if this is not true, try to manually setup the network. Set the DHCP adress to dlinks default: 192.168.0.1 and IP should be automatically retrieved
I am sure this problem can be fixed very easily.

On a D-Link wireless router, you must set it to Long Preamble (in the advanced settings) - it is automatically set to Short Preamble, which is incompatible with the Mac.

Connect to the router via ethernet and set up it's wireless broadcasting first to both "b" and "g" protocols, then you can test it wirelessly to see if you are picking up a signal.

Back