I hate to sound like a pessimist but...

habilis

Ministry of Re-Education
Why is there lag when throwing things into the trash in OSX - I mean there is a hang time not only in the actual operation but in the audio trashcan sound playback as well, compared to OS9? And why is there a horrendous lag when moving 70 mp3's from one folder to another(in OS9 this operation takes 1 second, in OSX it takes 6 or 7 with full-throttle beachballing). I'm finding that whenever I want to get anything productive done, I have to boot into classic.

I've been on 3 other new duals and they all have the same issue. Does anybody know if these problems are going to be fixed in Panther?

::alien::

Sounds like you have a nice system and may be frustrating for yah. Not sure if these things will be fixed in Panther. My complement is Mac OSX remembering my window sizes, hopefully that is fixed in future versions.
Look at it this way, its not Wind$, i have been playing around with XP, its okay. I still believe MAC is a better, more robust OS.

One thing to remember about OS X and 9 is that X requires a minimum of 128 MB of RAM to run while 9 only requires 32 MB. That's a huge difference in the amount of memory. Also, what else do (did) you have running in the background when you did your copy?

Originally posted by habilis
Why is there lag when throwing things into the trash in OSX - I mean there is a hang time not only in the actual operation but in the audio trashcan sound playback as well, compared to OS9? And why is there a horrendous lag when moving 70 mp3's from one folder to another(in OS9 this operation takes 1 second, in OSX it takes 6 or 7 with full-throttle beachballing). I'm finding that whenever I want to get anything productive done, I have to boot into classic.

I've been on 3 other new duals and they all have the same issue. Does anybody know if these problems are going to be fixed in Panther?

::alien::

When you try to delete stuff, what icon/window view are you using? Did you experiment with different views (column, icon, etc)? Are you using drag & drop deleting? Did you try with keyboard shortcuts? For how many actual items are we discussing about here? Thousands? In general, there is some lag but NOT that much other than the sound effect... The sound effect most of the time it plays a spliet second or two after the Trash is empty :p

As for moving 70 mp3s big freaking deal! In my 1GHz TiBook/512RAM, moving even 3500 thousands of mp3s around takes 1-1 1/2 secs at the most... Maybe you meant copying or moving between partionions or physical disks? Hmmm...

Let us know because the things you mention seem strange to say the least especially for G4 capable Macs and no I'm not talking about Duals only...

Also, comparing OS 9 and X, many times we discussed here about some "lag" that X has and that stability and real multitasking of X is a better thing...

Seriously, I have to admit that habilis is right about how long it takes to transfer files from one area to another on a hard drive. To move files in XP or any Windows for that matter in the same hard drive, the process will take around 2 seconds. Try with OS X, and you'll see each icon disappear slowly and your system is pretty much useless during that time no matter how much RAM you have. OS X is seriously an embarrassing operating system considering how much Mac users here hype it up.

Andre

I've also noticed some lag, albeit minimal. This occurs only when I'm attempting to trash/move over 100 files at once. Which really isn't that many files when you think of it.

My "work around" has been to use the Terminal app. If you feel comfortable, you can trash any amount of information as quickly as you can type.

Same thing with moving files. I'm almost always in a Terminal session so it's very easy for me to pop in and do a quick "mv -r /path/to/file/source /path/to/file/destination

Of course, this begs the question why can't Apple's finder use this functionality as well as the Terminal can?

Apple has been working on this, however, so I think it's safe to say things will only get better. I've seen a noticable difference when accessing remote directories in the finder (via TCP/IP). And I've also seen speed inprovments with transfering files over the LAN. I can't share the same opinion as cellfish does, as my XP box at work is much slower at transferring files then my OSX machines.

Originally posted by hulkaros
When you try to delete stuff, what icon/window view are you using?
This one
Did you experiment with different views (column, icon, etc)?
I wont go near column view with a 10-foot pole, and icon view in too big and obligatory, standard list view is the bomb.
Are you using drag & drop deleting? Did you try with keyboard shortcuts?
I am using dragon-drop deleting, and I do often use the command+delete when I deleting a bunch of selected files and I get the same lag effect either way; 1 file deleted only gives me a split second lag, 50 files or more gives me a 1-2 second lag, and 100 files gives me a 2-6 second lag.
Maybe you meant copying or moving between partionions or physical disks?
No, i'm just moving files, not copying

At any rate, I'm going to buy DiskWarrior today. See what I can get out of it...

As for cellphish's report that XP is better than OSX, well, we all know this arguement has made its rounds here many times, and all I can say us let's just hope Panther will be as fast as XP...

Look around at a couple other posts by cellfish and you'll find he's just trolling again.

Ah, what would macosx.com be without cellfish's trolling?

I've only noticed the lag when copying files to different physical drives personally. But shouldn't it be the same either way?
Also with floppies there is tremendous lag. But I got me one of those new keychain HD dealies for free :D so it doesn't bother me as much unless I want to transfer files to a windows 98 machine (ie: most of my school). I don't blame Apple though I believe floppies are dead, I'm just waiting for the rest of the world to figure it out ;)

Aha, list view.

It really shouldn't make much difference how you trash something or what you're looking at, as long as it's within Aqua. Notice how long it takes to trash 3 MB of files if you have 450 files, vs. 3 files totalling 450 MB. In either OS it takes longer to trash more files than larger files. I have also noticed the emptying trash sound delay, though, and I find it odd.

Deleting a file should take longer in Aqua than in Terminal because the UI commands have to filter through the Aqua interface. Terminal is the UNIX core of OS X, and it directly accesses the files while with Aqua, you have to go through several layers of interface.

ebolag: I think cellfish's location should be "Under this forum's skin"!

Absolutely no offense to anyone crafty and quick enough to be deleting things using the command line, but you gotta be functioning at nerd-factor 10 to be doing that.

And warp-factor 10!

I don't think my fingers can type directories as fast as "Cmd-Delete." "Cmd-Shift-Delete." "Return."

I agree, moving files is very slow, even on my G4 DP 867Mhz, 10.2.6, 768MB!!!!

Try this Test......

1. Create a text file with just "hi" inside. call it "test"

2. Create 2 folders on the desktop. "Folder 1" and "Folder 2"

3. Put test into "Folder 1"

4. Now duplicate "test" until you have 1024 files. How long did that take? (took me 4-5 min)

5. Move all of the files from Folder 1 to Folder 2. How long did that take you? (it took me 65 seconds, and it takes 3 secs for the ghost of the files to appear)

6. Copy all of the files from Folder 2 back to Folder 1. How long did that take you? (took me 55sec)

7. Select all files in Folder 1 and trash them. How long did that take you? (took me 95sec, force quit shows the finder as not responding- 'red')

Sure, i don't copy 1000 files often, but this is terrible and sad. : (

I redid the test with 100 and 200 files. The results are better, but still very dissapointing. It seems to take about 4-6 seconds before the files outline moves with the pointer (took no time in OS 9). I would still get the beachball and a lag.

joe

I too am disappointed by the sluggishness of Finder. Likely there will be improvement next time. There have been reports that they're revamping Finder to be more multithreaded and faster (able to walk and chew gum with out spinning the beachball).

Having said that, come on. OS X is amazing. Try the program PathFinder. I can't promise that it wil do file operations faster, but it seems to be very slick. Maybe it will give you the speedup you are looking for.

Doug

Defensively leaping to call someone a troll does nothing to resolve real problems. We Mac users do not like being reminded of certain aspects of our machine's performance, particularly when it is embarrasing.

It is very difficult not to compare when you use both Macs and Windows. Yes I have noticed the same thing, and others.

The way to counter it is for Apple to improve the system, not pretend it isn't there.

gastroboy: The only reason we call cellfish a troll is because he roams this board, posting anti-Mac, pro-Windows slander based only upon his own bad experiences, and he often seems to make up "facts" about either system.

Back