I have an orange Ibook g3 (Clamshell) Can not access open firmware?

israelifanofapple

Registered
Hello, I have just purchased something new for my collection, an orange Ibook g3 Clamshell, I bought it for a really low price for its condition and oh surprise it has a password. So I checked the tutorials and it says to press Command and s until you get to some menu with white text and black background, I get there but when I do so it doesn't give me the prompt to type anything it just goes and boots, Any suggestions on how to do this?
Has OS X, I don't know what version as I just purchased it

The "Command + S is to boot into single user mode. That is NOT open firmware.
Boot into Open Firmware by starting while holding Option-Command-O-F (That's the letter O, not a zero)

You can do a couple of resets in Open Firmware, but that won't do anything for a firmware password, if that is what you have.
The firmware password will be needed if the password is simply an open box, with a padlock showing next to that box.
It won't show a user account name, for example - just an empty box, with a padlock next to the box.

Firmware password is simple to clear on that iBook clamshell, if there is any RAM installed in the memory slot.
Just remove the memory chip, then do a PRAM reset.
PRAM reset is holding Option + Command + P + R, then press and release the power button.
Hold the reset keys for 2 boot chimes.
Shut down by holding the power button for a few seconds, then reinstall the RAM. That will clear the firmware password, if that's what you have.
( edit - corrected the Open Firmware startup key combo! )

Last edited:
Back