I have messed up my iTunes library!

blackngold

Registered
I was foolishly messing around with my iTunes library (something to do with copying it to another user) and somehow I messed it up so that:
I have all of my original songs still in my library iTunes.
However half of them do not work, because the file cannot be located.
In my itunes library, I have two folders with organized music. The first one has half of my music (the half that works)
The second one is full, containing ALL of my music and perfect mp3s.

I set my itunes preferences to make the full music folder the library folder, but I checked the xml file and none of the songs are told to play the mp3 in the complete folder that I told them too. The half that works is referencing the incomplete music folder, and the half that doesn't work.. just doesn't work.

How can I get all of the songs referencing the music folder I want? I don't want to just re-add them, because I don't want to loose my play counts and ratings and such.

Help would be much appreciated!
Thanks

Quit iTunes, and drag those items back to the same folders they were. (if you need those music still on the other user, rather keep a copy of it on that user)
iTunes has its own database where it's pointing to, and of course it can't find them...
As long as you dragged the content from it in folders of which exact location you can find this will work. If you can't locate the exact folders, you may be better off removing those files from iTunes and dragging them to iTunes via gui so it will add them as new.

And keep a backup of the Mac at all stages - as a precaution.

Thanks. However I want to keep all of the information like play count and ratings. I backed up my mac before the crisis so I can just revert to that: there's a catch though. After backing it up, I put around 3.5 gigs of info on my mac that would disappear. Is there any way of storing that amount of info so that I can just put it back on my mac after I restore it to before messing up my library? Do they sell cheap external small drives?

Thank you guys so much!

Back