I have never been so bummed

The device, IMHO is more than a phone. In fact, I think Apple could be blowing a big opportunity to sell these units as they are w/o the phone requirement.

For example, with the WIFI aspect, video, ipod features and what not, these devices would sell on their own, even for $200 more (without contract) easily. Calling it a "phone" significantly decreases it's appeal. This is a very awesome, mobile computing smart device that could be your walk around browser and mail device (wifi features alone). Not to mention videos and music, camera features, and what not.

My BET, is that Apple WILL sell this phone w/o contract for 200-300 more per phone and while you won't be able t use the phone feature, the other million features will be available to you.

I'm looking forward to watch movies that are stored on my Mac through WiFi on my iPhone when trying to sleep in bed. ;) ...

Also: Without contract doesn't mean you can't use it as a phone. You just need a SIM card. I guess in the USA there aren't many pay2use sim cards available?

It uses the SIM card so any other GSM provider should work shouldn't it? Rogers in Canada uses SIM cards so I suppose it could work on Rogers' network which is GSM.

Keep in mind this isn't even out yet and anything could change between now and June.

TMobile allows me to use any GSM capable phone that uses a sim card,
provided the phone is not locked to another network.

Apparently, things like voicemail features on the iPhone are tightly integrated into Cingular's network, as such feature would require deployment of code on both sides. Such features, as such would not be available on Tmobile and other networks, even if the GSM feature worked.

Another bad thing: It has GSM!!!! How old is that? My 6 year old Nokia that has a black & white display uses that. Why doesnt it have UMTS or HSDPA?? I mean come on! GSM came out 15 years ago - that isnt very modern.

PS for Fryke: The iPhone wont come out in Europe (maybe UK, but everything else I mean) because first of all: Right now they work with Cingular, and that doesnt exist in Europe but also because... well.. yea thats the only reason. But dreaming cant hurt, can it eh?

GSM is used more around the world then other technologies that's why it's GSM. GSM is used all over Europe and the iPhone is supposed to be released in Europe at the end of this year and Asia in 2008. The visual voicemail won't work without the provider's cooperation but there's nothing saying that Apple isn't working with European providers as well.

GSM is used more around the world then other technologies that's why it's GSM. GSM is used all over Europe and the iPhone is supposed to be released in Europe at the end of this year and Asia in 2008. The visual voicemail won't work without the provider's cooperation but there's nothing saying that Apple isn't working with European providers as well.

and to be fair, i don't think people are going to go "no visual voicemail? then Pah! i don't want this PoS!"

GSM may be old, but so is UNIX. Still good. I don't need UMTS. And yeah it *will* come out in Europe this year according to Apple. So that's settled.

Cingular may not have the best "data" service in the USA... but they do have the largest subscriber base, they have an existing working relationship with Apple, and GSM is available around the world.

Apple was smart to develop a GSM phone out the gate. They can quickly market it around the world once they get through various red-tape and develop contracts with carriers. Once that is done, they can go back and bring out phones which support other types of networks and by that time, the "multi-year" contract with Cingular will be due to expire and other networks can sell this wonderful product.

Back