I just cannot work this out! help please

kriz105

Registered
Dear All

I am not sure that i explained my problem very well in my last thread.

I guess my question is this..

Is there a setting within os X that my prevent me from downloading programs from the web (firewall or a setting with my Airport extreme)? I use an ibook with Airport extreme and Panther os X.

As well as being unable to download some programs (msn messenger and i tried t download software from ivisit,com I am also unable to make video chat connections (with ispq program i have).

Has anybody experienced anything similiar?

Thanks everybody

Chris

kriz105 said:
Dear All

Is there a setting within os X that my prevent me from downloading programs from the web (firewall or a setting with my Airport extreme)? I use an ibook with Airport extreme and Panther os X.

As well as being unable to download some programs (msn messenger and i tried t download software from ivisit,com I am also unable to make video chat connections (with ispq program i have).
Chris

This sounds much like a Firewall problem. It could be an Airport Extreme specific problem in which case I cannot help you as I don't have AE.

First thing to check: Start the System Preferences and go to the 'Sharing' pane. Click on Firewall to see whether a Firewall is active. Have you ever installed any 3rd party Firewall software ?

Dekatophil said:
This sounds much like a Firewall problem. It could be an Airport Extreme specific problem in which case I cannot help you as I don't have AE.

First thing to check: Start the System Preferences and go to the 'Sharing' pane. Click on Firewall to see whether a Firewall is active. Have you ever installed any 3rd party Firewall software ?

Hi Dekatophil

I have no Firewall setting on. I have never installed 3rd party Firewall Software.

Oh dear! I don't know!

Thank you for helping. Should i keep looking for settings within Airport Extreme preferences?

Chris

Having a look at the AE prefs sure'd be useful. As of version 5.1.3 of their AE software, Apple introduced special security measure to 'prevent unsolicited internet traffic', namely DOS attacks. I'm entirely speculating here, but could it be that your Base Station has been inundated with spam/virus mails so that this mechanism kicked in ? Did you have that problem right from the start or did it work before? Are you connected from your home or do you use a hot spot ?

Thanks so much for this - I shall follow the links you have supplied.

I have just seen that I am unable to download aim instant message neither. I have beeb able to in the passed.

I am able to download pdf's, doc's etc.. but not programs from site or video chatting.

Thanks again for your help.]

CHris

For ISPQ to work, you have to open ports 2000-2003 in you router (Base Station).

bobw said:
For ISPQ to work, you have to open ports 2000-2003 in you router (Base Station).

HI Bob

I have all the ports 2000 -2003 open but still i have problems.

You see its not just ispq, i cannot download a couple of chat programs i have tried to download, nothing happens!

Thanks so much again

Chris

Have you installed any third party firewall, or networking programs, or P2P programs?

Exactly what type of setup do you have?

Modem, Base Station, cables, other mqachines. Please post all info.

I have a base station, but I'm away from home for a couple days, so I can't check.

Has this been like this since you connected the machine?

I'm going to move this to the correct forum, Networking.

bobw said:
Have you installed any third party firewall, or networking programs, or P2P programs?

Exactly what type of setup do you have?

Modem, Base Station, cables, other mqachines. Please post all info.

I have a base station, but I'm away from home for a couple days, so I can't check.

Has this been like this since you connected the machine?

I'm going to move this to the correct forum, Networking.

Hello again bob

No not installed any 3rd party Firewalls.

I have adsl supplied by BT openworld plugged into adsl modem (netgear DM602) this is then connected by cable via ethernet to the airport. I use an ibook 600mhz Memory 640 MB SDRam .
I have theAirport configuration set in such a way as to be able to use ispq.

Ispq has never worked since I have had my airport extreme (some 4 months).

And i have only noticed not being able to download programs in the last 3 weeks.

Thanks again

C

Try connecting your machine directly to the modem and see if you can download or use ISPQ.

ok - have connected directly into machine and problem is still there (is that a good thing). I guess that tells us that its not an airport issue?

C

Right, it's not an airport issue.

Go to http://www.versiontracker.com
and try to download something. Doesn't matter what it is, just to test.

If you can't download, open a different browser and try. If it still won't download, I would contact your service provider and see if they have any ports closed.

bobw said:
Right, it's not an airport issue.

Go to http://www.versiontracker.com
and try to download something. Doesn't matter what it is, just to test.

If you can't download, open a different browser and try. If it still won't download, I would contact your service provider and see if they have any ports closed.

Hi Bob

There has been a development.

I have an old ibook also, it runs 9.2. I have just tried to download msn and it works.

Therefore it has to be a setting in my computer do you think?

Is is any use sending you a screenshot of my airport settings or my tcp/ip settings?

Also i contacted my isp before i thought about that and they said all is open as it should be etc..

Any more ideas? Again i appreciate your input so much.

I shall install ispq on the old mac and see how it gets on also.

Chris

Wish I could help more, but I'm away for a few days and don't have Airport here. Don't remember the settings, but look in your Network Preference Pane and see if that's set for Automatic on the Location Drop Down.
Should also be set to Using DHCP and show your Internal IP, subnet and router IP.

If you don't get it fixed by Tuesday, I'll be home and can check my Airport.

I have had a discussion with a friend of mine - he also is having difficulty in downloading files - is this a bigger problem. has anybody else experienced this?

Chris

You mean your friend uses an AE connection too ?
Well, did you follow the links I provided. As 9.2 seems to work well, it might be a Panther problem (signal strength).

Hello I'm Kriz105's friend (helleau) with the same problem. I'm running Panther on a 700Mhz ibook with airport. I found this on usenet which exactly describes my problem. It's definitely not just me and Chris:

> For some reason I'm unable to download files from the internet. I do not
> have the block pop ups on, and cannot see any other settings that would be
> causing the issue. Have tried with four differetn sites with the same
> results. System acts like its going to download site then flips back to
> previous screen. Any suggestions?
>
> JD
>

I think it's a problem with panther itself (either that or panther changed something when i installed that I don't know about)

I think it may be an Airport Extreme problem, but not Panther. I have my PB on the Base Station now, (Snow - not Extreme) and it works fine, downloads anything.

I would try completely removing the Airport software and reinstalling and setting up again.

Back