I just realized that I love PCs

Viro said:
@nixgeek
Notice how old that post is? ;)

AaAcK!! :confused:

Sorry...was busy juggling my youngest son and posting....didn't notice the date. :rolleyes:

But even back then.....RH 7.3??? ::ha::

Come to think of it, it was probably somewhat new back then...I'll shut up now.. :p

Hehehe... oh cmon, RH 7.3 was cool... i run it on hte last piece of pc i had - i loved it, apart from the rpm hell ...

L O L

it may be old, but people are posting now!
the only real reason i have a win compat box is for hl2. pretty sad, huh? but it is the best game i've ever played. second would be bolo!

I do have to admit RH 7.3 was cool. After that, I decided to try other distros, hence my avatar. :p

I'm now playing with Slackware, Ubuntu/Kubuntu, and Debian.

My next task are the BSDs. ;)

I believe my old Quadra 700 would make a good subject for NetBSD, hehe. Already tried the less impressive, but definitely interesting Apple UNIX on it.
:p

Quadras, eh? I used to run a Quadra 840AV way, way back when they were cutting edge. They had a reputation for being unstable and flaky, at the time, but it was without a doubt the least problematic Mac that I ever used! ::angel::

sinclair_tm has the same idea as me, mine just isn't in fruition yet - i want the cheapest pc that can play HL2 at a decent pace, seeing as it will never be released for mac..... any ideas?

CaptainQuark said:
Quadras, eh? I used to run a Quadra 840AV way, way back when they were cutting edge. They had a reputation for being unstable and flaky, at the time, but it was without a doubt the least problematic Mac that I ever used! ::angel::

Curious...what OS was it running, since that could have been the cause of the instability. I've got a 33 MHz Quadra 650 over here. I have it maxxed out with 136 MB of RAM, 10 gigs of hard drive space, and System 7.6.1. Hasn't crapped out on me in a long time. I'm currently running it with MacHTTP for our family homepage.

I never had System 7.6 - I stuck with 7.5.5 waiting and waiting for Copland which never materialized - then OS 8 came out and I upgraded.

From what I know, not many people were happy wit 7.6

We're talkin' ancient history here, so I can't remember which versions of the system I ran on it. Soz.

I don't remember ever having any major problems with any version of System 7, but I do remember distinctly disliking System 8, which, if memory served, tried to be the 'be all and end all' of multimedia systems and failed miserably, IMHO.

System 7.6 had its issues, which was why there was an update to 7.6.1. So far, it's been pretty stable, and I don't need the extra stuff from Mac OS 8/8.1 on it for now. *.1 was great on that machine, but it did slow it down a little. I'm more for the performance on it than looks, and the multiple file copying isn't all that important on that machine right now

I may venture with NetBSD again in the future, but i'm quite happy with it now. :D

I LOVED MacOS 8 :) - I only wish that copland had come to fruition :D
I wish cyberdog and OpenDoc had taken off too :)

AdmiralAK said:
I LOVED MacOS 8 :) - I only wish that copland had come to fruition :D
I wish cyberdog and OpenDoc had taken off too :)

No, don't get me wrong...OS 8 was great (sorry :rolleyes:) but I really didn't need all the extras it brought. The nice thing was the newer Extensions Manager, which 7.6.x has. So for me, 7.6.1 was good enough.

I've even heard some people recommend sticking with 7.5.5 if not using 8/8.1, since 7.6.x didn't bring much to the table. This might be true, but I haven't experienced any slowdowns or instability with 7.6.1.

Back