I just wish..

Reality

Registered
If there was one thing I wish more then anything else for my internet experience, its that there was at lest one, half decent instant messenger out there. I'm talking about one messenger that'll give equal features for both the Mac and Windows platform. Something that just works for both sides and ends all stupid lacking features between OS versions.

As you may have guess my main complaint is of MSN messenger. It's the biggest chat app out there when it comes to having features. The bad thing is, the Mac version is so bare bones it's aggravating. There is no voice chat, web cam, file transfer only work 10% of the time I ever wanted to use it, I can't have a icon, I can do custom smiles, ect ect.

Then you have Yahoo instant messenger. It's a ugliest of any of the chat apps I ever used personally, so to only add to it's value, it goes on to also lack basic features. It's surprisingly has web cam support for both platforms but in limited use. You can only video chat one way. So you have to be the receiver or the sender. On top of that there is no actual sound, so it's just a moving picture show, at about 2-3 frames a second. Beyond that it's as bare bones as MSN. No voice chat, though the file transfer does work but more awkwardly. You don't actually see the file being transfered. Yahoo just lets you know it's been sent and gives you a URL. So unless your friend says something, he or she may never get it and you can't view what you actually sent last.

Last is our very own iChat/AIM. Now at first iChat was really simple. It was just a Mac way to talk AOL. In terms of just test messaging at lest. Now with iChat AV, a real way to communicate was being made possible. Sadly there is some frustration for me when trying to understand why I need to first buy iChat AV, and then why I still can't voice or cam chat with AIM friends that I know have mics and cameras on their PCs. I simple have no icon by there names, yet they voice chat all that time to other Window machines. It just seems like iChatAV works it's best with other iChat members and that's it.

So here is what I want. A good instant messenger already. Not one that works as a Mac interface of AIM, Yahoo, or MSN. But a new one all together. I just wish somebody like Apple would make one or a very talented Windows and Mac developer. I just want one that can offer me these things:

-A practical and professional look. Which would respectable differ on each OS to match it's style. (I personally think MSN has the best for the Mac)
-Themes and skins.
-Professional made emotions. As well as animated ones. Not to mention a feature to let you upload any smile you find on the net or make at home.
-Custom backgrounds.
-URL in display name
-View & set display pictures, avatars, or personal icons.
-Large message boxes. So that at lest a real paragraph worth of text can be proof read before sending.
-Customizable Text. (A pretty basic feature)
-iChat quality Voice conversations with group chat support.
-iChat quality Video conversations with group chat support.
-A very stable, fast, and perfectly working file transfer system. And if something goes wrong, a smart response system that can tell the user if it's a firewall or sever issue. I also like to see the DL status be shown in bar form at the bottom of the chat window. I don't like it when there is has to be new windows opened and then closed just from sending a file.
-Offline Messaging.
-Custom made status.
-Easy blocking, deleting or adding of friends.
-"View-ability" Customization. This would let certain friends see as you always busy, away, ect all the time when you log in.
-Streaming music. Stream music from iTunes into a conversation or even group chat. Anyone who doesn't want to listen, simple doesn't have to accept the stream.
-Tab chats. Its great in browsers, it's be wonderful for this.
-Spell checker. Its sad only iChat has this features as I mess up a lot.
-Easy invites. Its simple really, but it's harder on iChat and AIM for someone reason.
-Hand writing. Hold a special bottom on the keyboard and draw or write what you want to say.
-Games. Nothing helps the boredom sometimes and there is so many simple but fun games you can include.
-Account Collection. I like it if I could bring all my accounts together under one app.
-Customizable Buddy Names. I'll be honest when I say sometimes I don't remember people so this feature would let me personally name them on my buddy list to help me remember.

So there ya have it...my current dream. If only it was out there....somewhere. What you about guys huh? Are you happy with how things are right now or do you feel the same, want more, what? I want to talk about or here some ideas to the ideal instant messenger. ::angel::

Ps. I hope this is the right place for this. I wasn't very sure.

lol. yeah, but this person wants it all in one app. Hey, me too. I'd love it if I could get the customization and versatility of Adium, the Video and Sound of iChat, and the File Transfer and general feature set of the stock AOL Instant Messenger, also compatible with Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, and Rendezvous....

I can dream, can't i?

Protocol standards, first. Once everyone is using a single protocol, you'll see a (more or less) standardized feature set settling into the various apps on various platforms. In addition, more and more Windows programmers are learning the joy and zen of platform independent development, and with fewer native API calls and hacks, a more standardized look-n-feel model and/or feature set will also settle in.

(shrugs)

Just one man's view on things.

Good points. I am not a programmer, so I am not knowledgeable about how these things work. I find adium most useful for a multi-chat program. File exchange is hands down best on ichat.

Personally i would love a MSN client that supported all the features of its PC counterpart, all my friends use MSN, none on AOL, so iChat /AV is not a option for me, although if iChat AV was MSN /Yahoo compatible that would rock. The one thing you have to keep in mind is that it all comes down to usability. Can everyone use the software with minimum effort?

On the PC MS has got this hands down, because its software is included with the default OS. Apple does this with iChat, but it uses a network that is primarily US orientated, and therefore doesn't fit well in the UK market I don't know about these things that much, but if Apple were able to add MSN functionality to the app that would really help. Wasn't there something about AOL and MSN contacts being able to talk to each other?

For those looking for others to MS's Client there area few:

AMSN - OK, but needs a bit of work no video / audio http://amsn.sourceforge.net/
DMSN/Mercury - Video (good but i cant figure how to work it :confused:) www.mercury.to

Just my 2p :p

Well, for quite a few of the features, Skype meets the criteria. it works on the top 3 OSs as well as PDAs, It is made for voice chat, it works as a VoIP for a nominal fee, it has a fairly professional feel (but no customization yet).

go check it out. see if you like it. www.skype.com

I tried skype out before and it does work out good for audio. Not as good as iChat, but it's the only other option, so I can't complain to much. The down side to skype is that no one really wants the inconvenience to down load something else to do a simple voice chat and that's kinda my main gripe. To match the features of a single chat app on the PC, we need about 4. So after you DL load everything, you got to tell you PC buddies to download those apps too and honestly I can understand when they feel it's not worth it just for one person.

I also checked out Adium X, it was neat but it didn't offer anything that would have made my life any easier. You see, all my friends are on MSN. A select few have also made them selves a Yahoo or AIM accounts just to talk or video chat with me. So having a instant messenger that'll use these account isn't what I really need. I need a single messenger that has the features of these three. But I do appreciate the suggestion of Adium X.

Back