I killed It :(

stizz

gorilla beta tester
I seem to have killed my new Intel Mini. I have not called apple yet, but I may have to. I have a mac that now wont do anything, won't boot target disk mode, wont boot single user, won't boot off system restore disk, wont even bring up the bootcamp loader or allow me to zap the pram.

In retrospect, I was not exactly following bootcamp instructions. I had previously partitioned my drive into two: a 15MB fat32 partition for windows, and a much larger partiton for tiger. When I went to install XP this morning, rather than start from the bootcamp application, i just rebooted the mini holding option and selected the windows install disk. Installation seemed to be going fine until it was time to restart.

Disk Error
press any key to restart
No Bootable Device - insert boot disk and press any key

is there any help for me?

so I get all the way to the Mac Store for my appointment at the genius bar, and without any difficulty, the guy boots my mini up holding down the option key. I stood there dumbfounded. As is always the case, something is broken until you try to show the IT guy.

Anyway,..so he suggests I backup/reinstall the entire drive,..then use bootcamp, and he sends me on my merry way.

i get home and the problem remains. Once again i have a non responsive mac.

So I switch keyboards. I Unplug the Mac USB keyboard, and plug in a usb keyboard from an iMac. Suddenly,..Mac whirrs to life and holding option key brings up the bootcamp menu.

I got pwnwd by a stupid non functioning option key on a stupid usb keyboard. At least my mini is ok.

I got pwnwd by a stupid non functioning option key on a stupid usb keyboard.

I found this pretty amusing. :) I remember trying to help someone who seemed to only get right click options. Every time she'd click, she'd get a pop-up menu. Turns out her elbow was resting on the control key.

AH! thank you Stizz! i spent most the day trying to figure out what i done "%#^" up while playing alternate start-up with a foreign OS.

I can now boot back into Tiger, and breath easy :)

Don't forget to check your startup volume in System Preferences/Startup Disk.

By the way: Have you ever been "wicked" sick, you go to the doctor's office and as you are sitting in the waiting room you suddenly feel much better?

Now I know what I have to look forward to if I ever did have to haul my workhorse over to the Apple Store. DOH!

Back